Does Credit Competition Affect Small-Firm Finance?
AbstractWhile relaxation of geographical restrictions on bank expansion permitted banking organizations to expand across state lines, it allowed states to erect barriers to branch expansion. These differences in states' branching restrictions affect credit supply. In states more open to branching, small firms borrow at interest rates 80 to 100 basis points lower than firms operating in less open states. Firms in open states also are more likely to borrow from banks. Despite this evidence that interstate branch openness expands credit supply, we find "no effect" of variation in state restrictions on branching on the amount that small firms borrow. Copyright (c) 2010 The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 65 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Elias Papaioannou & José-Luis Peydró, 2013.
"Financial Regulation, Financial Globalization, and the Synchronization of Economic Activity,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(3), pages 1179-1228, 06.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "Financial regulation, financial globalization and the synchronization of economic activity," Working Paper Series 1221, European Central Bank.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Elias Papaioannou & José Luis Peydró, 2009. "Financial Regulation, Financial Globalization and the Synchronization of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 14887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Cerqueiro, Geraldo & Penas, María F., 2011. "Does debtor protection really protect debtors? Evidence from the small business credit market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1843-1857, July.
- Amore, Mario Daniele & Schneider, Cédric & Žaldokas, Alminas, 2013. "Credit supply and corporate innovation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 835-855.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013.
"Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011. "Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Chava, Sudheer & Oettl, Alexander & Subramanian, Ajay & Subramanian, Krishnamurthy V., 2013. "Banking deregulation and innovation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 759-774.
- Michalski, Tomasz & Ors, Evren, 2012.
"(Interstate) Banking and (interstate) trade: Does real integration follow financial integration?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 89-117.
- Michalski, Tomasz & Örs, Evren, 2010. "(Inter-state) Banking and (Inter-state) Trade: Does Real Integration Follow Financial Integration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Atif Mian & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2011. "Local versus aggregate lending channels: the effects of securitization on corporate credit supply," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1124, Banco de Espa�a.
- Zarutskie, Rebecca, 2013. "Competition, financial innovation and commercial bank loan portfolios," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 373-396.
- Berger, Allen N. & Goulding, William & Rice, Tara, 2013. "Do Small Businesses Still Prefer Community Banks?," International Finance Discussion Papers 1096, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ogura, Yoshiaki, 2012. "Lending competition and credit availability for new firms: Empirical study with the price cost margin in regional loan markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1822-1838.
- Céline Meslier & Donald P. Morgan & Katherine Samolyk & Amine Tarazi, 2014. "The Benefits of Intrastate and Interstate Geographic Diversification in Banking," Working Papers hal-00950504, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.