The Interdependent and Intertemporal Nature of Financial Decisions: An Application to Cash Flow Sensitivities
AbstractWe develop a dynamic multiequation model where firms make financing and investment decisions jointly subject to the constraint that sources must equal uses of cash. We argue that static models of financial decisions produce inconsistent coefficient estimates, and that models that do not acknowledge the interdependence among decision variables produce inefficient estimates and provide an incomplete and potentially misleading view of financial behavior. We use our model to examine whether firms are constrained from accessing capital markets. Unlike static single-equation studies that find firms underinvest given cash flow shortfalls, we conclude that firms maintain investment by borrowing. Copyright (c) 2010 the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 65 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Glaser, Markus & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Sautner, Zacharias, 2010.
"Opening the Black Box: Internal Capital Markets and Managerial Power,"
28488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Markus Glaser & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Zacharias Sautner, 2013. "Opening the Black Box: Internal Capital Markets and Managerial Power," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(4), pages 1577-1631, 08.
- Seifert, Bruce & Gonenc, Halit, 2012. "Issuing and repurchasing: The influence of mispricing, corporate life cycle and financing waves," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 66-81.
- Dahl, Drew, 2012. "Coincident correlations of growth and cash flow in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1139-1143.
- Hohenstatt, Ralf & Steininger, Bertram, 2011. "The rat race of capital structure research for REITs and REOCs: Two spotlights on leverage," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-077, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bessler, Wolfgang & Drobetz, Wolfgang & Haller, Rebekka & Meier, Iwan, 2013. "The international zero-leverage phenomenon," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 196-221.
- Cho, Seong-Soon & El Ghoul, Sadok & Guedhami, Omrane & Suh, Jungwon, 2014. "Creditor rights and capital structure: Evidence from international data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 40-60.
- Xu, Pisun (Tracy), 2013. "Managerial incentives and a firm's cash flow sensitivities," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 80-96.
- Drobetz, Wolfgang & von Meyerinck, Felix & Oesch, David & Schmid, Markus, . "Is Board Industry Experience a Corporate Governance Mechanism?," Working Papers on Finance 1401, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Vadim Khramov, 2012. "Asymmetric Effects of the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 12/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Behr, Patrick & Norden, Lars & Noth, Felix, 2013. "Financial constraints of private firms and bank lending behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3472-3485.
- Brancati, Emanuele, 2013. "Innovation activity and nancing constraints: evidence from Italy during the crises," MPRA Paper 47750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Özgür Arslan-Ayaydin & Chris Florackis & Aydin Ozkan, 2014. "Financial flexibility, corporate investment and performance: evidence from financial crises," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 211-250, February.
- Brancati, Emanuele, 2013. "Innovation, financial constraints and relationship lending: evidence from Italy during the recent crises," MPRA Paper 50329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.