Strategic Actions and Credit Spreads: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractDo strategic actions of borrowers and lenders affect corporate debt values? We find higher bond spreads for firms that can renegotiate debt contracts relatively easily. Consistent with theories of strategic debt service, the threat of strategic default depresses bond values ex ante, even though there may be efficiency gains from renegotiation ex post. However, the economic significance of the net effect is small, suggesting that bondholders have considerable bargaining power. The effect of strategic actions is higher when creditors are particularly vulnerable to strategic threats, including risky firms with high managerial shareholding, simple debt structures, and high liquidation costs. Copyright 2007 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 62 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pawlina, Grzegorz, 2010. "Underinvestment, capital structure and strategic debt restructuring," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 679-702, December.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Sundaram, Rangarajan K. & John, Kose, 2011.
"Cross-country variations in capital structures: The role of bankruptcy codes,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 25-54, January.
- Acharya, Viral V & John, Kose & Sundaram, Rangarajan K, 2005. "Cross-Country Variations in Capital Structures: The Role of Bankruptcy Codes," CEPR Discussion Papers 4916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Georges Dionne & Pascal François & Olfa Maalaoui Chun, 2009. "Detecting Regime Shifts in Corporate Credit Spreads," Cahiers de recherche 0929, CIRPEE.
- Antonio Falato & Nellie Liang, 2012. "Do creditor rights increase employment risk? evidence from debt covenants," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schaefer, Stephen M. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2008. "Structural models of credit risk are useful: Evidence from hedge ratios on corporate bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-19, October.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Davydenko, Sergei A. & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2009.
"Cash Holdings and Credit Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andras Danis, 2013. "Do Empty Creditors Matter? Evidence from Distressed Exchange Offers," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1334, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2009. "Towards a Common European Monetary Union Risk Free Rate," NBER Working Papers 15353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nejadmalayeri, Ali & Singh, Manohar, 2012. "Corporate taxes, strategic default, and the cost of debt," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2900-2916.
- Georges Dionne & Sadok Laajimi, 2009.
"On the Determinants of the Implied Default Barrier,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dionne, Georges & Laajimi, Sadok, 2012. "On the determinants of the implied default barrier," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 395-408.
- Maclachlan, Iain C, 2007. "An empirical study of corporate bond pricing with unobserved capital structure dynamics," MPRA Paper 28416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Andrew Jianzhong, 2012. "Distress risk premia in expected stock and bond returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 225-238.
- Mayordomo, Sergio, . "Four essays on the interaction between credit derivatives and fixed income markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/9168, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Giesecke, Kay & Longstaff, Francis A. & Schaefer, Stephen & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2011. "Corporate bond default risk: A 150-year perspective," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 233-250.
- Adriana Breccia & William Perraudin, 2010. "Debt Valuation and Chapter 22," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 1015, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Hertzel, Michael G. & Officer, Micah S., 2012. "Industry contagion in loan spreads," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 493-506.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.