Do Initial Public Offering Firms Purchase Analyst Coverage with Underpricing?
AbstractWe report that initial public offering (IPO) underpricing is positively related to analyst coverage by the lead underwriter and to the presence of an all-star analyst on the research staff of the lead underwriter. These findings are robust to controls for other determinants of underpricing and to controls for the endogeneity of underpricing and analyst coverage. In addition, we find that the probability of switching underwriters between IPO and seasoned equity offering is negatively related to the unexpected amount of post-IPO analyst coverage. These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that underpricing is, in part, compensation for expected post-IPO analyst coverage from highly ranked analysts. Copyright 2004 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 59 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gilbert, Aaron & Tourani-Rad, Alireza & Wisniewski, Tomasz Piotr, 2006. "Do insiders crowd out analysts?," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 40-48, March.
- Loureiro, Gilberto, 2010. "The reputation of underwriters: A test of the bonding hypothesis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 516-532, September.
- Gresse, Carole & Gajewski, Jean-François, 2006. "A Survey of the European IPO Market," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/8670, Paris Dauphine University.
- Wu, Joanna Shuang & Zang, Amy Y., 2009. "What determine financial analysts' career outcomes during mergers?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1-2), pages 59-86, March.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Bouslimi, Lobna, 2010. "Analyst following of privatized firms around the world: The role of institutions and ownership structure," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 413-442, December.
- James, Christopher & Karceski, Jason, 2006. "Strength of analyst coverage following IPOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-34, October.
- Francis, Bill B & Hasan, Iftekhar & Lothian, James R & Sun, Xian, 2008.
"The signalling hypothesis revisited: Evidence from foreign IPOs,"
Research Discussion Papers
10/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Lothian, James R. & Sun, Xian, 2010. "The Signaling Hypothesis Revisited: Evidence from Foreign IPOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 81-106, February.
- Beneda, Nancy & Zhang, Yilei, 2009. "Heterogeneous relationship between IPO return and risk across idiosyncratic variance characteristics," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1298-1316, November.
- Adjasi, Charles K.D. & Osei, Kofi A. & Fiawoyife, Eme U., 2011. "Explaining underpricing of IPOs in frontier markets: Evidence from the Nigeria Stock Exchange," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 255-265, September.
- Bradley, Daniel & Clarke, Jonathan & Cooney, John, 2012. "The impact of reputation on analysts’ conflicts of interest: Hot versus cold markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2190-2202.
- Kirk, Marcus, 2011. "Research for sale: Determinants and consequences of paid-for analyst research," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 182-200, April.
- Liu, Yang & Yang, J. Jimmy, 2011. "Private debt, unused credit lines, and seasoned equity offerings," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 376-388.
- Davies, Phil & Minton, Bernadette & Schrand, Catherine, 2008. "Commodity Price Exposure and Ownerhsip Clienteles," Working Paper Series 2008-7, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Niehaus, Greg & Zhang, Donghang, 2010. "The impact of sell-side analyst research coverage on an affiliated broker's market share of trading volume," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 776-787, April.
- Carter, Richard B. & Dark, Frederick H. & Sapp, Travis R.A., 2010. "Underwriter reputation and IPO issuer alignment 1981-2005," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 443-455, November.
- Bradley, Daniel & Choi, Hyung-Suk & Clarke, Jonathan, 2011. "Working for the enemy? The impact of investment banker job changes on deal flow," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 585-596, September.
- Bilinski, Pawel & Liu, Weimin & Strong, Norman, 2012. "Does liquidity risk explain low firm performance following seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 2770-2785.
- Gresse, Carole & Bouzouita, Nesrine & Gajewski, Jean-François, 2012. "Liquidity Benefits from IPO Underpricing : Ownership Dispersion or Information Effect," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/8776, Paris Dauphine University.
- Hao, (Grace) Qing, 2011. "Securities litigation, withdrawal risk and initial public offerings," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 438-456, June.
- Kumar, Alok & Page, Jeremy K. & Spalt, Oliver G., 2011. "Religious beliefs, gambling attitudes, and financial market outcomes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 671-708.
- Sette, Enrico, 2011. "Competition and optimistic advice of financial analysts: Evidence from IPOs," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 441-457, July.
- Gajewski, Jean-François & Gresse, Carole, 2006. "A Survey of the European IPO Market," ECMI Papers 1207, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Kennedy, Duane B. & Sivakumar, Ranjini & Vetzal, Kenneth R., 2006. "The implications of IPO underpricing for the firm and insiders: Tests of asymmetric information theories," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.