Optimal Asset Location and Allocation with Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing
AbstractWe investigate optimal intertemporal asset allocation and location decisions for investors making taxable and tax-deferred investments. We show a strong preference for holding taxable bonds in the tax-deferred account and equity in the taxable account, reflecting the higher tax burden on taxable bonds relative to equity. For most investors, the optimal asset location policy is robust to the introduction of tax-exempt bonds and liquidity shocks. Numerical results illustrate optimal portfolio decisions as a function of age and tax-deferred wealth. Interestingly, the proportion of total wealth allocated to equity is inversely related to the fraction of total wealth in tax-deferred accounts. Copyright 2004 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 59 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Trond M D�skeland & Helge A Nordahl, 2008.
"Intergenerational Effects of Guaranteed Pension Contracts,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 19-46, June.
- Døskeland, Trond M. & Nordahl, Helge A., 2006. "Intergenerational Effects of Guaranteed Pension Contracts," Discussion Papers 2006/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 21 Jun 2007.
- Zhou, Jie, 2012. "Life-cycle stock market participation in taxable and tax-deferred accounts," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1814-1829.
- Gaobo Pang, .
"Tax-Deferred Savings and Early Retirement,"
3, Watson Wyatt Worldwide.
- Marekwica, Marcel, 2012. "Optimal tax-timing and asset allocation when tax rebates on capital losses are limited," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2048-2063.
- James J. Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2011.
"$100 Bills on the Sidewalk: Suboptimal Investment in 401(k) Plans,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 748-763, August.
- James Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte Madrian, 2008. "$100 Bills on the Sidewalk: Suboptimal Investment in 401(K) Plans," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2519, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jul 2009.
- James J. Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2005. "$100 Bills on the Sidewalk: Suboptimal Investment in 401(k) Plans," NBER Working Papers 11554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marekwica, Marcel & Schaefer, Alexander & Sebastian, Steffen, 2013. "Life cycle asset allocation in the presence of housing and tax-deferred investing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1110-1125.
- Sikandar Hussain & M. Shahid Ebrahim, 2005. "Financial Development and Property Valuation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 24, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bruno Biais & Richard C. Green, .
"The Microstructure of the Bond Market in the 20th Century,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E57, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Biais, Bruno & Green, Richard, 2007. "The Microstructure of the Bond Market in the 20th Century," IDEI Working Papers 482, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Rydqvist, Kristian & Spizman, Joshua & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2011. "The evolution of aggregate stock ownership," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jeff Dominitz & Angela Hung, 2006. "Retirement Savings Portfolio Management," Working Papers wp138, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Mihir A. Desai & Dhammika Dharmapala & Winnie Fung, 2005. "Taxation and the Evolution of Aggregate Corporate Ownership Concentration," NBER Working Papers 11469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.