Testing for Mean-Variance Spanning with Short Sales Constraints and Transaction Costs: The Case of Emerging Markets
AbstractWe propose regression-based tests for mean-variance spanning in the case where investors face market frictions such as short sales constraints and transaction costs. We test whether U.S. investors can extend their efficient set by investing in emerging markets when accounting for such frictions. For the period after the major liberalizations in the emerging markets, we find strong evidence for diversification benefits when market frictions are excluded, but this evidence disappears when investors face short sales constraints or small transaction costs. Although simulations suggest that there is a possible small-sample bias, this bias appears to be too small to affect our conclusions. Copyright The American Finance Association 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 56 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Szafarz, 2011.
"Investment in Microfinance Equity: Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits,"
Working Papers CEB
11-050, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2011. "Investment in Microfinance Equity : Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7858, Paris Dauphine University.
- de Roon, Frans & Eichholtz, Piet & Koedijk, Kees, 2002. "The Portfolio Implications of Home Ownership," CEPR Discussion Papers 3501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David M. Schizer & Michael R. Powers & Martin Shubik, 2003.
"Market Bubbles and Wasteful Avoidance: Tax and Regulatory Constraints on Short Sales,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm356, Yale School of Management.
- Michael R. Powers & David M. Schizer & Martin Shubik, 2003. "Market Bubbles and Wasteful Avoidance: Tax and Regulatory Constraints on Short Sales," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1413, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Eiling, Esther & Gerard, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & de Roon, Frans A., 2012. "International portfolio diversification: Currency, industry and country effects revisited," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1249-1278.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J. & Blake, Christopher R., 2006. "The adequacy of investment choices offered by 401(k) plans," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1299-1314, August.
- Galvani, Valentina & Plourde, André, 2013. "Spanning with futures contracts," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 61-72.
- Thapa, Chandra & Poshakwale, Sunil S., 2012. "Country-specific equity market characteristics and foreign equity portfolio allocation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 189-211.
- Jaap van der Hart & Erica Slagter & Dick van Dijk, 2001.
"Stock Selection Strategies in Emerging Markets,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-009/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Post, G.T., 2001. "Spanning and Intersection: a stochastic dominance approach," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-63-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Jiang, Chonghui & Ma, Yongkai & An, Yunbi, 2013. "International portfolio selection with exchange rate risk: A behavioural portfolio theory perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 648-659.
- Stefano Herzel, Stefano & Marco Nicolosi, Marco & Starica, Catalin, 2010.
"The cost of sustainability on optimal portfolio choices,"
Sustainable Investment and Corporate Governance Working Papers
2010/15, Sustainable Investment Research Platform.
- Stefano Herzel & Marco Nicolosi & Catalin Starica, 2011. "The cost of sustainability on optimal portfolio choices," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 84/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.