Are There Tax Effects in the Relative Pricing of U.S. Government Bonds?
AbstractThe authors investigate the impact of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 on the relative pricing of U.S. Treasury Bonds. They obtain positive statistically and economically significant estimates for the implicit tax rates of a 'representative' investor in the late 1970s and early 1980s. After the 1986 tax reform, the point estimates for the tax rate are close to zero. Tests for a regime shift associated with the 1986 tax reform support the hypothesis that this event largely eliminated tax effects from the term structure. The authors discuss both institutional and statutory explanations for this change. Copyright 1997 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 52 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anderson, Ronald C. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Reeb, David M., 2003. "Founding family ownership and the agency cost of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 263-285, May.
- Stuart Landon, 2009.
"The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2009_20, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2175-2184, December.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," MPRA Paper 15467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kozicki, Sharon & Tinsley, P.A., 2005.
"What do you expect? Imperfect policy credibility and tests of the expectations hypothesis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 421-447, March.
- Sharon Kozicki & P.A.Tinsley, 2001. "What do you expect? : imperfect policy credibility and tests of the expectations hypothesis?," Research Working Paper RWP 01-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ioannides, Michalis, 2003. "A comparison of yield curve estimation techniques using UK data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Andrew Ang & Vineer Bhansali & Yuhang Xing, 2008.
"Taxes on Tax-Exempt Bonds,"
NBER Working Papers
14496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Landschoot, A. van, 2003. "The Term Structure of Credit Spreads on Euro Corporate Bonds," Discussion Paper 2003-046, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Junbo Wang & Chunchi Wu & Frank Zhang, 2005. "Liquidity, default, taxes and yields on municipal bonds," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kozicki, Sharon & Tinsley, P. A., 2001. "Term structure views of monetary policy under alternative models of agent expectations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 149-184, January.
- Ertugrul, Mine & Hegde, Shantaram, 2008. "Board compensation practices and agency costs of debt," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 512-531, December.
- Liu, Sheen & Shi, Jian & Wang, Junbo & Wu, Chunchi, 2007. "How much of the corporate bond spread is due to personal taxes?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 599-636, September.
- Extension Faculty & Staff, 2011. "New York Economic Handbook, 2012," EB Series 121630, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Lin, Hai & Wang, Junbo & Wu, Chunchi, 2011. "Liquidity risk and expected corporate bond returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 628-650, March.
- Van Landschoot, Astrid, 2004. "Determinants of euro term structure of credit spreads," Working Paper Series 0397, European Central Bank.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J. & Agrawal, Deepak & Mann, Christopher, 2004. "Factors affecting the valuation of corporate bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2747-2767, November.
- Jordan, James V. & Mansi, Sattar A., 2003. "Term structure estimation from on-the-run Treasuries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1487-1509, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.