Ex-dividend Day Stock Price Behavior: The Case of the 1986 Tax Reform Act
AbstractThis paper analyzes the behavior of stock prices around ex-dividend days after the implementation of the 1986 Tax Reform Act that dramatically reduced the difference between the tax treatment of realized long-term capital gains and dividend income in 1987 and completely eliminated the differential in 1988. The author shows that this tax change had no effect on the ex-dividend stock price behavior, which is consistent with the hypothesis that long-term individual investors have no significant effect on ex-day stock prices during this time period. The results indicate that the activity of short-term traders and corporate traders dominates the price determination on the ex-day. Copyright 1991 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 46 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vithessonthi, Chaiporn & Tongurai, Jittima, 2012. "The impact of capital account liberalization measures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 16-34.
- Fazakas, Gergely & Kosárka, Judit, 2008.
[Dividend policy theories]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(9), pages 782-806.
- Chen, Zhijuan & Lin, William T. & Ma, Changfeng & Tsai, Shih-Chuan, 2014. "Liquidity provisions by individual investor trading prior to dividend announcements: Evidence from Taiwan," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 358-374.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Behavior of Stock Prices in Finland in 1989-90 and 1993-97," Discussion Papers 674, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Stock Price Behavior, Taxes and Discrete Prices; A Simulation Experiment," Discussion Papers 676, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Leonie Bell & Tim Jenkinson, 2002.
"New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1321-1346, 06.
- Leonie Bell & Tim Jenkinson, 2001. "New evidence of the impact of dividend taxation and on the identity of the marginal investor," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe14, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Bell, L. & Jenkinson, T., 2000. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," Economics Series Working Papers 9924, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bell, Leonie & Jenkinson, Tim, 2001. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," CEPR Discussion Papers 2946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tim Jenkinson & Leonie Bell, 2000. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," Economics Series Working Papers 24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jack Francis & Tsing Wu & Nan-Ting Kuo, 2012. "Effects of tax reform on drop-off ratios and on the ex-dividend and ex-right prices," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 147-164, August.
- Carlos Martins, 2007. "Consistency of Dividend Signalling and Future Maturity Level:Evidence from UK Data," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 40, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Stock Returns and Tick Rules," Discussion Papers 675, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Boulton, Thomas J. & Braga-Alves, Marcus V. & Shastri, Kuldeep, 2012. "Payout policy in Brazil: Dividends versus interest on equity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 968-979.
- William Hardin & Gow-Cheng Huang & Kartono Liano, 2012. "Dividend Size, Yield, Clienteles and REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 435-449, August.
- Andrei Anghel & Tudor Cristiana, 2013. "Investors' Dividend Preference On The Romanian Equity Market: A Cross-Sectional Empirical Investigation," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 61-69, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.