Defensive Changes in Corporate Payout Policy: Share Repurchases and Special Dividends
AbstractThis paper examines defensive payouts announced in response to hostile corporate control activity. The evidence indicates that the announcement of defensive share repurchases is associated with an average negative impact on the share price of the target firm. In contrast, special dividend payments generally increase the wealth of target-firm shareholders. Regardless of payout type, those firms remaining independent after the outcome of the corporate control contest experience an abnormal share price increase over the duration of the contest. Among these firms there are substantial postcontest changes in capital, asset, and ownership structure and abnormally high rates of top management turnover. Copyright 1990 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 45 (1990)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Scott J. Weisbenner, 2000. "Corporate share repurchases in the 1990s: what role do stock options play?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fabel, Oliver & Kolmar, Martin, 2002. "Management takeover battles and the role of the golden handshake," Discussion Papers, Series 1 319, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Woan-lih Liang & Konan Chan & Wei-Hsien Lai & Yanzhi Wang, 2013. "Motivation for Repurchases: A Life Cycle Explanation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 221-242, April.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Skinner, Douglas J., 2000. "Special dividends and the evolution of dividend signaling," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-354, September.
- Atreya Chakraborty & Richard Arnott, 1997.
"Takeover Defenses and Dilution: A Welfare Analysis,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
351., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Oct 2000.
- Chakraborty, Atreya & Arnott, Richard, 2001. "Takeover Defenses and Dilution: A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(03), pages 311-334, September.
- Andreas Hackethal & Alexandre Zdantchouk, 2006. "Signaling Power of Open Market Share Repurchases in Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 123-151, June.
- Assem Safieddine & Sheridan Titman, 1997. "Debt and Corporate Performance: Evidence from Unsuccessful Takeovers," NBER Working Papers 6068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Bong Soo & Mauck, Nathan, 2014. "Information Asymmetry and the Market Response to Open Market Share Repurchases," MPRA Paper 54066, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Firth, Michael & Leung, T.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2010.
"Double signals or single signal? An investigation of insider trading around share repurchases,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 376-388, October.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2008. "Double Signals or Single Signal? An Investigation of Insider Trading Around Share Repurchases," Working Papers 222008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Christine Jolls, 1998. "Stock Repurchases and Incentive Compensation," NBER Working Papers 6467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banyi, Monica L. & Dyl, Edward A. & Kahle, Kathleen M., 2008. "Errors in estimating share repurchases," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 460-474, September.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Jurgen Doornik & Jan Tore Klovland, 2004.
"A European-type wage equation from an American-style labor market: Evidence from a panel of Norwegian manufacturing industries in the 1930s,"
2004/8, Norges Bank.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Jurgen Doornik & Jan Tore Klovland, 2004. "A European-type wage equation from an American-style labor market: Evidence from a panel of Norwegian manufacturing industries in the 1930s," Working Paper 2004/4, Norges Bank.
- Harris, Oneil & Glegg, Charmaine, 2009. "Governance quality and privately negotiated stock repurchases: Evidence of agency conflict," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 317-325, February.
- Eva Terberger & Stefanie Wettberg, 2005. "Der Aktienrückkauf und die Bankenkrise von 1931," Working Papers 0418, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco & Casolaro, Luca, 2008. "The pricing effect of certification on syndicated loans," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 335-349, March.
- Karyn L. Neuhauser & Wallace N. Davidson III & John L. Glascock, 2011. "An analysis of failed takeover attempts and merger cancellations," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(4), pages 347-376, September.
- Jordan, Bradford D. & Liu, Mark H. & Wu, Qun, 2014. "Corporate payout policy in dual-class firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 1-19.
- Henryk Gurgul & Pawel Majdosz, 2005. "Effect of dividend and repurchase announcements on the polish stock market," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 1, pages 25-41.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegaard, 2004. "The ownership structure of repurchasing firms," Working Paper 2004/7, Norges Bank.
- Oliver Fabel & Martin Kolmar, 2007. "On 'Golden Parachutes' as Manager Discipline," TWI Research Paper Series 17, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.