Management Buyouts of Divisions and Shareholder Wealth
AbstractThis paper examines the wealth effects to parent company shareholders around the announcement of divisional management buyouts. Despite the relative absence of "arms-length" bargaining between buyer and seller, there is no evidence that divisional management buyouts result in reductions in parent company share prices. Instead, small, but statistically significant, wealth gains are found during the two-day period surrounding the buyout announcement. This evidence suggests that divisional buyouts reallocate ownership of corporate assets to higher-valued uses and that parent company stockholders share in the expected benefits of this change in ownership structure. Copyright 1989 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 44 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T., 2005.
"Public-to-Private Transactions: LBOs, MBOs, MBIs and IBOs,"
2005-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T., 2005. "Public-to-Private Transactions: LBOs, MBOs, MBIs and IBOs," Discussion Paper 2005-023, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Gottschalg, Oliver, 2009. "The opportunity cost of capital of US buyouts," IESE Research Papers D/780, IESE Business School.
- Van de Gucht, Linda M. & Moore, William T., 1998. "Predicting the duration and reversal probability of leveraged buyouts," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 299-315, October.
- Valkama, Petri & Maula, Markku & Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2013. "Drivers of holding period firm-level returns in private equity-backed buyouts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2378-2391.
- Y. Alperovych & K. Amess & M. Wright, 2012.
"Private Equity Firm Experience and Buy-out Vendor Source: What is their Impact on Efficiency?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
12/800, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Alperovych, Yan & Amess, Kevin & Wright, Mike, 2013. "Private equity firm experience and buyout vendor source: What is their impact on efficiency?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(3), pages 601-611.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002.
"L'incidence des LBO sur la politique d'investissement et la gestion opérationnelle des firmes acquises:le cas français,"
Working Papers CREGO
1021001, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "L'incidence des LBO sur la politique d'investissement et la gestion opérationnelle des firmes acquises:le cas français," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 5(4), pages 79-106, December.
- Phillippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002.
"The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms: The French Case,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5&6), pages 695-729.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms:the French Case," Working Papers CREGO 1020702, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Alexander Peter Groh & Oliver Gottschalg, 2008. "The Opportunity Cost of Capital of US Buyouts," NBER Working Papers 14148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baran, Lindsay C. & King, Tao-Hsien Dolly, 2010. "Going private transactions, bondholder returns, and wealth transfer effects," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1856-1872, August.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- Christian Andres & André Betzer & Charlie Weir, 2007. "Shareholder wealth gains through better corporate governance—The case of European LBO-transactions," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 403-424, December.
- Hans Bruining & Ernst Verwaal & Mike Wright, 2013. "Private equity and entrepreneurial management in management buy-outs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 591-605, April.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "The Impact of Lbos on Investment Policies and Operations of Acquired French Firms," Working Papers CREGO 1021002, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Stouraitis, Aris, 2003. "Acquisition premiums when investment banks invest their own money in the deals they advise and when they do not: Evidence from acquisitions of assets in the UK," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1917-1934, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.