The Informational Content of Initial Public Offerings
AbstractThe ability of capital markets to distinguish firms of different value by the size of their initial equity offerings is attenuated when insiders can sell equity more than once. A model is developed in which there is price risk from holding equity between periods. When the uncertainty is small, there must be pooling in the first period. When uncertainty is large, the pooling equilibria dominate the separating equilibria. Copyright 1989 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 44 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Other versions of this item:
- Ian Gale & Joseph Stiglitz, 1990. "The Informational Content of Initial Public Offerings," NBER Working Papers 3259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cantale, Salvatore & Russino, Annalisa, 2004. "Putable common stock," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 753-775, November.
- Firth, Michael, 1997. "An analysis of the stock market performance of new issues in New Zealand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 63-85, February.
- Keasey, Kevin & McGuinness, Paul B., 2008. "Firm value and its relation to equity retention levels, forecast earnings disclosures and underpricing in initial public offerings in Hong Kong," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 642-662, December.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Expected and realised returns for Singaporean IPOs: Initial and long-run analysis," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 153-180, July.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- Klaus Ritzberger & Frank Milne, 2002. "Strategic pricing of equity issues," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 271-294.
- Fei Jiang & Lawrence A. Leger, 2010. "The impact on performance of IPO allocation reform: An event study of Shanghai Stock Exchange A-shares," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(3), pages 251-272, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.