Information Effects Associated with Debt-for-Equity and Equity-for-Debt Exchange Offers
AbstractThis study investigates the information effect caused by a firm's change in capital structure via debt-for-equity and equity-for-debt exchange offers. The evidence suggests that the former transactions lead to abnormal stock price increases, while the latter lead to abnormal stock price decreases. In addition, findings based on analysis of bond returns and cross-sectional regressions do not lend support to the wealth transfer and tax effect hypotheses, but they are consistent with the information effect hypothesis. Copyright 1989 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 44 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luc Renneboog & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2008.
"Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(4), pages 792-819.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006. "Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 2006-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006. "Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center 2006-007, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Robert M. Hull & George E. Pinches, 1995. "Firm Size and the Information Content of Over-the-Counter Common Stock Offerings," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 4(1), pages 31-55 , Spring.
- Imbierowicz, BjÃ¶rn & Wahrenburg, Mark, 2013. "Wealth transfer effects between stockholders and bondholders," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 23-43.
- Robert Hull & Sungkyu Kwak & Rosemary Walker, 2012. "Explanation for market response to seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 634-661, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.