Investing in Bankrupt Firms
AbstractThe authors examine the investment characteristics of firms electin g to enter bankruptcy between 1973 and 1982. Comparisons are made before and after the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978. The results indicate that the 1978 Act had no significant impact on bankruptcy decisions or resolutions for actively traded firms. Trading in bankru pt firms' securities is becoming more common, but no abnormal returns appear to be available. Systematic risk does not change significantl y with the filing of bankruptcy, but there is a significant increase in return variance. The financial markets also react to various announcements of stages in the reorganization process. Copyright 1988 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 43 (1988)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iraj Hashi, 1995. "The Economics of Bankrupcy, Reorganisation and Liquidation: Lessons for East European Transitional Economies," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0041, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Li, Yuanzhi & Zhong, Zhaodong (Ken), 2013. "Investing in Chapter 11 stocks: Trading, value, and performance," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 33-60.
- Indro, Daniel C. & Leach, Robert T. & Lee, Wayne Y., 1999. "Sources of gains to shareholders from bankruptcy resolution," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 21-47, January.
- Galai, Dan & Raviv, Alon & Wiener, Zvi, 2007.
"Liquidation triggers and the valuation of equity and debt,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3604-3620, December.
- Dan Galai & Alon Raviv & Zvi Wiener, 2003. "Liquidation Triggers and the Valuation of Equity and Debt," Finance 0305002, EconWPA.
- Chi, Li-Chiu & Tang, Tseng-Chung, 2007. "Impact of reorganization announcements on distressed-stock returns," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 749-767, September.
- Stavros Peristiani, 2003. "Evaluating the riskiness of initial public offerings: 1980-2000," Staff Reports 167, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.