The Interrelation of Stock and Options Market Trading-Volume Data
AbstractThis research empirically investigates the relation between common stock and call option trading volumes. The p aper hypothesizes and tests a sequential flow of information between the stock and option markets. If information trading for Chicago Boar d Option Exchange listed firms is predominantly accomplished through option trading, then existing research methodologies may be biased ag ainst finding any significant economic consequences in those instance s where option listing is an impor-tant variable. Results indicate th at trading in call options leads trading in the underlying shares, wi th a one day lag. Copyright 1988 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 43 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muravyev, Dmitriy & Pearson, Neil D. & Paul Broussard, John, 2013. "Is there price discovery in equity options?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 259-283.
- Nam, Seung Oh & Oh, SeungYoung & Kim, Hyun Kyung & Kim, Byung Chun, 2006. "An empirical analysis of the price discovery and the pricing bias in the KOSPI 200 stock index derivatives markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 398-414.
- Engle, Robert F, 1999.
"Modeling the Impacts of Market Activity on Bid-Ask Spreads in the Option Market,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt6rp7g17q, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Young-Hye Cho & Robert F. Engle, 1999. "Modeling the Impacts of Market Activity on Bid-Ask Spreads in the Option Market," NBER Working Papers 7331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- P. L. Varson & M. J. P. Selby, 1997. "Option prices as predictors of stock prices: intraday adjustments to information releases," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 49-72.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jungshik Kim, 1999.
"The Big Players in the Foreign Exchange Market: Do They Trade on Information or Noise?,"
CID Working Papers
5, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Wei, S.J. & Kim, J., 1999. "The Big Players in the Foreign Exchange Market: Do They Trade on Information or Noise?," Papers 5, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jungshik Kim, 1997. "The Big Players in the Foreign Exchange Market: Do They Trade on Information or Noise?," NBER Working Papers 6256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hayunga, Darren K. & Holowczak, Richard D. & Lung, Peter P. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2012. "Derivatives traders’ reaction to mispricing in the underlying equity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2438-2454.
- Nam, Seung Oh & Oh, SeungYoung & Kim, Hyun Kyung, 2008. "The time difference effect of a measurement unit in the lead-lag relationship analysis of Korean financial market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 259-273.
- Chen, Carl R. & Lung, Peter P. & Tay, Nicholas S. P., 2005. "Information flow between the stock and option markets: Where do informed traders trade?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-23.
- Rafiqul Bhuyan, 2002. "Information, Alternative Markets, and Security Price Processes: A Survey of Literature," Finance 0211002, EconWPA.
- Chan, Kam C. & Chang, Yuanchen & Lung, Peter P., 2009. "Informed trading under different market conditions and moneyness: Evidence from TXO options," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-208, April.
- Michael Boluch & Trevor Chamberlain, 1997. "Option volume and stock price behavior: Some evidence from the Chicago board options exchange," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(4), pages 358-370, December.
- Johnson, Travis L. & So, Eric C., 2012. "The option to stock volume ratio and future returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 262-286.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.