Covenants not to Compete, Labor Mobility, and Industry Dynamics
Abstract"Conventional wisdom among legal scholars is that contractual restrictions on employee mobility affect turnover and led to the overtaking of Massachusetts' Route 128 by Silicon Valley. We study a model of employee mobility in the spirit of Pakes and Nitzan to see when this can be the case. We show that, in fact, with certain frictions taken into account, a model of employee mobility can not only replicate the overtaking by Silicon Valley, but it can also help to explain Route 128s early dominance. Further, the model explains the relative success of firms that start as, or generate, spin-outs." Copyright (c) 2008, The Author(s) Journal Compilation (c) 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economics & Management Strategy.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/journals/JEMS/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011.
"A Survey of Venture Capital Research,"
2011-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2011. "A survey of venture capital research," NBER Working Papers 17523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Bozkaya, Ant & Kerr, William R., 2013. "Labor regulations and European venture capital," Research Discussion Papers 30/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Timothy J. Perri, 2010.
"Garden Leave vs. Covenants not to Compete,"
10-07, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted & Thomas Ronde, 2013. " Does the Mobility of R & D Labor Increase Innovation?," Working Papers 336, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Ann-Kathrine Ejsing & Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted & Keld Laursen, 2013.
" The Role of University Scientist Mobility for Industrial Innovation,"
336, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Ejsing, Ann-Kathrine & Kaiser, Ulrich & Kongsted, Hans Christian & Laursen, Keld, 2013. "The Role of University Scientist Mobility for Industrial Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 7470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matt Marx & Lee Fleming, 2012. "Non-compete Agreements: Barriers to Entry…and Exit?," NBER Chapters, in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 12, pages 39-64 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Bünstorf & Christoph Engel & Sven Fischer & Werner Güth, 2013.
"Win Shift Lose Stay - An Experimental Test of Non-Compete Clauses,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2013-038, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Guido Bünstorf & Christoph Engel & Sven Fischer & Werner Güth, 2013. "Win Shift Lose Stay - An Experimental Test of Non-Compete Clauses," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2013_17, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Zhu Wang & Luis Cabral, 2013.
"Spin-offs: Theory and Evidence from the Early U.S. Automobile Industry,"
2013 Meeting Papers
942, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luis Cabral & Zhu Wang, 2009. "Spin-offs: theory and evidence from the early U.S. automobile industry," Research Working Paper RWP 08-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Selvaggi, Marianao & Vasconcelos, Luis, 2006. "Star Wars: Exclusive Superstars and Collusive Outcomes," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp496, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Evan Starr & Natarajan Balasubramanian & Mariko Sakakibara, 2014. "Enforcing Covenants Not To Compete: The Life-Cycle Impact On New Firms," Working Papers 14-27, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.