Alternative Estimating And Testing Empirical Strategies For Fractional Regression Models
AbstractIn many economic settings, the variable of interest is often a fraction or a proportion, being defined only on the unit interval. The bounded nature of such variables and, in some cases, the possibility of nontrivial probability mass accumulating at one or both boundaries raise some interesting estimation and inference issues. In this paper we: (i) provide a comprehensive survey of the main alternative models and estimation methods suitable to deal with fractional response variables; (ii) propose a full testing methodology to assess the validity of the assumptions required by each alternative estimator; and (iii) examine the finite sample properties of most of the estimators and tests discussed through an extensive Monte Carlo study. An application concerning corporate capital structure choices is also provided.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
Other versions of this item:
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2009. "Alternative estimating and testing empirical strategies for fractional regression models," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2009_08, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.