An Exegesis on Currency and Banking Crises
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature on currency and banking crises. Currency and banking crises are characterized according to some standards in the literature and their historical record summarized. The development of the literature from first through fourth-generation, or so-called 'institutional' models is reviewed. A digression on institutions is provided along with some sidebars on the development of the literature on institutions as it relates to economic growth. The empirical research on third-generation "or twin crises" models and on institutional models of currency and banking crises, which are so far scarce, is covered too. A summary of the main policy issues for dealing with financial crises is presented. The paper closes with an emphasis on institutions and a call for more research directed at institutions and their role in the financial system. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 18 (2004)
Issue (Month): (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cihák, Martin & Schaeck, Klaus, 2010. "How well do aggregate prudential ratios identify banking system problems?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 130-144, September.
- Bruinshoofd, Allard & Candelon, Bertrand & Raabe, Katharina, 2008.
"Banking sector fragility and the transmission of currency crises,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-19692, Maastricht University.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Bertrand Candelon & Katharina Raabe, 2010. "Banking Sector Fragility and the Transmission of Currency Crises," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 263-292, April.
- Chih-huan Chen & Ching-chong Lai, 2010. "An Interpretation of the Collapsing Process of the Bretton Woods System," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 449-463, July.
- Tjeerd M. Boonman & Jan P. A. M. Jacobs & Gerard H. Kuper, 2011. "Why didn't the Global Financial Crisis hit Latin America?," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-63, CIRANO.
- Moore, Winston, 2010. "Managing the Process of Removing Capital Controls: What Does the Literature Suggest?," MPRA Paper 21584, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shimpalee, Pattama L. & Breuer, Janice Boucher, 2006. "Currency crises and institutions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 125-145, February.
- Casu, Barbara & Clare, Andrew & Saleh, Nashwa, 2011. "Towards a new model for early warning signals for systemic financial fragility and near crises: an application to OECD countries," MPRA Paper 37043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohammad Karimi & Marcel-Cristian Voia, 2011. "Empirics of Currency Crises: A Duration Analysis Approach," Carleton Economic Papers 11-11, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis, 2009. "On-site audits, sanctions, and bank risk-taking: An empirical overture towards a novel regulatory and supervisory philosophy," MPRA Paper 16836, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz & Ryan Scuzzarella & Martin CihÃ¡k, 2011. "The Bright and the Dark Side of Cross-Border Banking Linkages," IMF Working Papers 11/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Kuper, Gerard H. & Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & Boonman, Tjeerd M., 2012. "The Global Financial Crisis and currency crises in Latin America," Research Report 12005-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Yaroslava Babych, 2011. "Financial Crises and Economic Growth - A Long Run Perspective," Working Papers 003-11, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Bertrand Candelon & Katharina Raabe, 2005.
"Banking Sector Strenght and the Transmission of Currency Crises,"
DNB Working Papers
032, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bruinshoofd,Allard & Candelon,Bertrand & Raabe,Katharina, 2005. "Banking Sector Strength and the Transmission of Currency Crises," Research Memoranda 023, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Helene Schuberth, 2011. "Lessons from the crisis in Finland and Sweden in the 1990s by Jaakko Kiander, Pentti Vartia: Comment," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 71-76, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.