Various Concepts of Hysteresis Applied in Economics
AbstractDifferent types of hysteresis are applied in order to describe persistence phenomena in micro- and macroeconomics. On the microeconomic level sunk adjustment costs generate "genuine" hysteresis where temporary exogenous shocks lead to switches between different "branches" of an entire input-output-relation (i.e. "multibranch non-linearity"). The shape of the hysteresis loop changes when an adequate aggregation towards a macroeconomic relation is conducted over heterogeneous micro elements. Hysteresis-relations are based on a local structural instability in the case of a branch-to-branch-transition. However, the persistence characteristics of first order difference (differential) equations with unit (zero) roots--which are based on a global indifference-instability--are in economics commonly labeled as "hysteresis" as well. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke & Martin Günther, 2009.
"When Does It Hurt?: The Exchange Rate "Pain Threshold" for German Exports,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
943, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Goecke & Martin Guenther, 2009. "When Does It Hurt? The Exchange Rate "Pain Threshold" for German Exports," Ruhr Economic Papers 0148, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias & Guenther, Martin, 2009. "When does it hurt? The exchange rate "pain threshold" for German exports," Discussion Papers 45, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Albers, Scott, 2013. "Okun’s Law as a Pi-to-1 ratio: A harmonic / trigonometric theory as to why Okun’s Law works," MPRA Paper 46633, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Turvey, Calum G. & Onyango, Benjamin & Cuite, Cara & Hallman, William K., 2010. "Risk, fear, bird flu and terrorists: A study of risk perceptions and economics," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias, 2004.
"Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1126, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke, 2005. "Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 185-203, 05.
- Antoine Bouveret, 2010. "Politiques économiques, dynamique et équilibre de long terme du taux de change," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/53r60a8s3ku, Sciences Po.
- Bruno Ducoudre & Antoine Bouveret, 2007.
"On the Contingency of Equilibrium Exchange Rates with Time - Consistent Economic Policies,"
Sciences Po publications
2007-08, Sciences Po.
- Antoine Bouveret & Bruno Ducoudré, 2007. "On the contingency of equilibrium exchange rates with time- consistent economic policies," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Daisuke Oyama, 2004. "Booms And Slumps In A Game Of Sequential Investment With The Changing Fundamentals," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 55(3), pages 311-320.
- Sofia Castro & João Correia-da-Silva, 2005. "Past expectations as a determinant of equilibrium prices - hysteresis in a simple economy," FEP Working Papers 185, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Jaromír Lazar & Simona Matušková, 2012. "Variable and Fixed Costs from the Economic Theory and Company Management Perspective," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 245-264.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/53r60a8s3kup1vc9kd52ge69h is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/6125 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.