Competition and Antitrust Policy in the Enlarged European Union: A Level Playing Field?
AbstractWith the central and eastern European countries (CEECs) increasingly included into the international division of labour in the European economic space, we are prompted to ask whether this integration operates on a level playing field with respect to competition policy. In fact, our analysis reveals that effectiveness of implementation of competition law and policy and intensity of competition are lower in the CEECs. We find no reason to believe that the new eastern EU members struggle with the recent reforms of competition policy in the EU, nor do we see the necessity for policy action to spur effective implementation. Copyright (c) 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation (c) 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2009)
Issue (Month): (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9886
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jens HÃ–LSCHER, 2009. "Twenty Years of Economic Transition: Successes and Failures," The Journal of Comparative Economic Studies (JCES), The Japanese Society for Comparative Economic Studies (JSCES), vol. 5, pages 3-17, December.
- Jens Hölscher & Nicole Nulsch & Johannes Stephan, 2010. "State Aid in the Enlarged European Union. An Overview," IWH Discussion Papers 24, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Robert Feinberg & Mieke Meurs & Kara Reynolds, 2012. "Maintaining New Markets: Explaining Antitrust Enforcement in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 203-219, June.
- Nela Ramona Ichim, 2010. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Competition Policy In Romania Using Clusters And Distances Methods," Romanian Economic Business Review, Romanian-American University, vol. 5(4-1), pages 63-72, Winter-Sp.
- Nela Ramona Ichim (Grigore), 2012. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Eu Competition Policy During The Economic Crisis," Anale. Seria Stiinte Economice. Timisoara, Faculty of Economics, Tibiscus University in Timisoara, vol. 0, pages 481-485, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.