Socially Responsible Fixed-Income Funds
AbstractThe growing importance of SRI in the investment arena has resulted in considerable academic interest in the performance of socially responsible equity mutual funds. Remarkably, no attempts have been made to evaluate the performance of mutual funds that invest in socially responsible fixed-income securities. This study fills that gap by measuring the performance of socially responsible bond and balanced funds relative to matched samples of conventional funds, over the period 1987-2003. Using multi-index performance evaluation models, we show that the average SRI bond fund performed similar to conventional funds, while the average SRI balanced fund outperformed its conventional peers by more than 1.3% per year. The expenses charged by SRI funds, match those charged by conventional funds and, evidently, do not cause SRI funds to underperform. Copyright (c) 2009 The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 36 (2009-01)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Stéphanie Monjon, 2011.
"The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds: Does the Screening Process Matter?,"
2011-12, CEPII research center.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Monjon, Stéphanie, 2014. "The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds : Does the Screening Process Matter ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7347, Paris Dauphine University.
- Matthew Hood & John Nofsinger & Abhishek Varma, 2014. "Conservation, Discrimination, and Salvation: Investors’ Social Concerns in the Stock Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 5-37, February.
- Sebastian Rathner, 2013. "The Influence of Primary Study Characteristics on the Performance Differential Between Socially Responsible and Conventional Investment Funds: A Meta-Analysis," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 118(2), pages 349-363, December.
- Leite, Paulo & Cortez, Maria Céu, 2014. "Style and performance of international socially responsible funds in Europe," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 248-267.
- Bastien Drut, 2010.
"Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 131-145, April.
- Bastien Drut, 2009. "Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment," Working Papers CEB 09-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bastien Drut, 2009. "Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-17, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Hélène Pasquini-Descomps & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "What is the perception of corporate social responsibility for fund managers in Switzerland?," Working Papers 2014-097, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Boudt, Kris & Cornelissen, Jonathan & Croux, Christophe, 2013. "The impact of a sustainability constraint on the mean-tracking error efficient frontier," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 255-260.
- Julia Lackmann & Jürgen Ernstberger & Michael Stich, 2012. "Market Reactions to Increased Reliability of Sustainability Information," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 107(2), pages 111-128, May.
- Rathner, Sebastian, 2013. "The Relative Performance of Socially Responsible Investment Funds. New Evidence from Austria," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2013-1, University of Salzburg.
- Rathner, Sebastian, 2012. "The Performance of Socially Responsible Investment Funds: A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2012-3, University of Salzburg.
- Francisco Climent & Pilar Soriano, 2011. "Green and Good? The Investment Performance of US Environmental Mutual Funds," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 103(2), pages 275-287, October.
- Johan, S.A. & Cumming, D., 2006. "Corporate social responsibility: domestic and international private equity institutional investment," Discussion Paper 2006-002, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Bert Scholtens, 2010. "The Environmental Performance of Dutch Government Bond Funds," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 117-130, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.