Corporate Governance Structure and the Valuation of Australian Firms: Is There Value in Ticking the Boxes?
AbstractThis paper provides an investigation of the valuation and agency consequences of corporate governance policy. This is achieved by examining variation in voluntary adoption by Australian listed firms, during the period from 1992 to 2002, of corporate governance frameworks representative of the governance code of practice introduced by the Australian Stock Exchange in 2003. The findings indicate benefits for firms from overall corporate governance structuring, but not in isolation, in line with the requirements now in place, and a significant role played by institutional and external shareholders as alternative agency mechanisms. Corporate governance structure is found to be important, however, the likely impact of disclosure of governance practice or compliance on valuation is less clear. Copyright (c) 2008 The Author Journal compilation (c) 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 35 (2008-09)
Issue (Month): 7-8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ntim, Collins G. & Lindop, Sarah & Thomas, Dennis A., 2013. "Corporate governance and risk reporting in South Africa: A study of corporate risk disclosures in the pre- and post-2007/2008 global financial crisis periods," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 363-383.
- Pascal Nguyen & Nahid Rahman, 2014. "Which Governance Characteristics Affect the Incidence of Divestitures in Australia?," Working Paper Series 180, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Ntim, collins g & Opong, kwaku k & Danbolt, jo, 2010. "Corporate governance, affirmative action and firm value: evidence from post-apartheid South African firms," MPRA Paper 32297, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Aug 2011.
- Andrei Vernikov, 2013. "Does Corporate Governance Really Predict Firms’ Market Values in Emerging Markets? The Case of Russian Banks," HSE Working papers WP BRP 12/MAN/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Collins G. Ntim, 2012.
"Director shareownership and corporate performance in South Africa,"
African Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 359-373.
- Ntim, Collins G, 2012. "Director Shareownership and Corporate Performance in South Africa," MPRA Paper 45808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ntim, Collins G., 2011. "The King Reports, Independent Non-Executive Directors and Firm Valuation on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange," MPRA Paper 45812, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ntim, Collins G., 2011. "The Impact of Corporate Board Meetings on Corporate Performance in South Africa," MPRA Paper 45814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Franck & Stefan Sundgren, 2012. "Determinants of internal governance quality: evidence from Sweden," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(7), pages 639-665, July.
- Henry, Darren, 2010. "Agency costs, ownership structure and corporate governance compliance: A private contracting perspective," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-46, January.
- Collins G. Ntim & Kwaku K. Opong & Jo Danbolt & Dennis A. Thomas, 2012. "Voluntary corporate governance disclosures by post-Apartheid South African corporations," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 122-144.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.