Venture Capitalists, Business Angels, and Performance of Entrepreneurial IPOs in the UK and France
AbstractUsing a unique sample of 444 entrepreneurial IPOs in the UK and France, this paper analyses the investment patterns and the stock-market performance effects of two types of early stage investors: venture capitalists (VCs) and business angels (BAs). Extending existing research, we identify important endogeneity and institutional effects. Our findings indicate that UK IPOs have a higher retained ownership and lower participation ratio by BAs, but a lower retained ownership and participation ratio by VCs than in France. BA and VC investments are substitutes, and they are endogenously determined by a number of firm- and founder-related factors, such as founder ownership and external board 'interlocks', and underwriter reputation. UK VCs are effective third-party certifying agents who reduce underpricing in UK IPOs, whereas in French IPOs they increase it by appearing to engage in grandstanding. This certification effect is more significant in UK IPOs involving both high VC and BA ownership. Finally, underpricing increases with VC participation ratio, where the higher exit of VCs seems to increase the risk premium required by outside investors, in particular in the UK. Copyright 2007 The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 34 (2007-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goergen, Marc & Khurshed, Arif & Renneboog, Luc, 2009.
"Why are the French so different from the Germans? Underpricing of IPOs on the Euro New Markets,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 260-271, September.
- Goergen, M. & Khurshed, A. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2006. "Why are the French so Different from the Germans? Underpricing of IPOs on the Euro New Markets," Discussion Paper 2006-008, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Goergen, M. & Khurshed, A. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2009. "Why are the French so Different from the Germans? Underpricing of IPOs on the Euro New Markets," Discussion Paper 2009-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Goergen, M. & Khurshed, A. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2006. "Why are the French so Different from the Germans? Underpricing of IPOs on the Euro New Markets," Discussion Paper 2006-24, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Macho-Stadler, Inés & Pérez-Castrillo, David, 2010.
"Incentives in university technology transfers,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 362-367, July.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2009. "Incentives in University Technology Transfers," Working Papers 398, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2009. "Incentives in University Technology Transfers," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 785.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alperovych, Yan & Hübner, Georges, 2011. "Explaining returns on venture capital backed companies: Evidence from Belgium," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 277-295, September.
- Sophie Pommet, 2013. "The Impact of Venture Capital Investment Duration on the Survival of French IPOs," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-32, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Valérie Revest & Sandro Sapio, 2008. "Financing Technology-Based Small Firms in Europe: a review of the empirical evidence," LEM Papers Series 2008/23, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Chahine, Salim & Arthurs, Jonathan D. & Filatotchev, Igor & Hoskisson, Robert E., 2012. "The effects of venture capital syndicate diversity on earnings management and performance of IPOs in the US and UK: An institutional perspective," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 179-192.
- Sophie Pommet, 2012. "The Survival of Venture Capital Backed Companies: An Analysis of the French Case," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-14, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Sophie Pommet, 2013. "The impact of venture capital investment duration on the survival of French IPOs," Working Papers halshs-00923957, HAL.
- Rosenbusch, Nina & Brinckmann, Jan & Müller, Verena, 2013. "Does acquiring venture capital pay off for the funded firms? A meta-analysis on the relationship between venture capital investment and funded firm financial performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 335-353.
- Anis Mnif, 2009. "Board Of Directors And The Pricing Of Initial Public Offerings (Ipos): Does The Existence Of A Properly Structured Board Matter? Evidence From France," Post-Print halshs-00459257, HAL.
- Cho, Jaemin & Lee, Jaeho, 2013. "The venture capital certification role in R&D: Evidence from IPO underpricing in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 83-108.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.