Performance of Private to Public MBOs: The Role of Venture Capital
AbstractAbstract: Using a unique dataset, we examine financial performance, and venture capital involvement in 167 MBOs exiting through IPOs (MBO-IPOs) on the London Stock Exchange, during the period 1964 -1997. VC backed MBOs seem to be more underpriced than MBOs without venture capital backing, based on average value-weighted returns. MBOs backed by highly reputable VCs tend to be older companies, and exit earlier than MBOs backed by less reputable VCs. The results contradict 'certification' and 'grandstanding' hypotheses supported by US data ( Megginson and Weiss, 1991 ; and Gompers, 1996 , respectively). We found no evidence of either significant underperformance, or that VC backed MBOs perform better than their non-VC backed counterparts in the long run. However, MBOs backed by highly reputable venture capital firms seem to be better long-term investments as compared to those backed by less prestigious venture capitalist firms. The results remain robust after using different methods to measure performance, and after controlling for sample selectivity bias. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- Riccardo Ferretti & Antonio Meles, 2010.
"Underpricing, wealth loss for pre-existing shareholders and the cost of going public: the role of private equity backing in Italian IPOs,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 23-47, September.
- Riccardo Ferretti & Antonio Meles, 2011. "Underpricing, wealth loss for pre-existing shareholders and the cost of going public: the role of private equity backing in Italian IPOs," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 11041, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Rosenbusch, Nina & Brinckmann, Jan & Müller, Verena, 2013. "Does acquiring venture capital pay off for the funded firms? A meta-analysis on the relationship between venture capital investment and funded firm financial performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 335-353.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Gavin C. Reid & Julia A. Smith, 2005. "Venture Capital Investor Behaviour in the Backing of UK High Technology Firms: Financial Reporting and the Level of Investment," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0510, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Wright, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Scholes, L., 2006.
"Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect,"
2006-70, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mike Wright & Luc Renneboog & Tomas Simons & Louise Scholes, 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(3), pages 38-55.
- Wright, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Scholes, L., 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Paper 2006-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Valkama, Petri & Maula, Markku & Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2013. "Drivers of holding period firm-level returns in private equity-backed buyouts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2378-2391.
- Croce, Annalisa & Martí, José & Murtinu, Samuele, 2013. "The impact of venture capital on the productivity growth of European entrepreneurial firms: ‘Screening’ or ‘value added’ effect?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 489-510.
- Chahine, Salim & Filatotchev, Igor, 2008. "The effects of venture capitalist affiliation to underwriters on short- and long-term performance in French IPOs," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 351-372.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.