The Effect of Earnings Management on the Value Relevance of Accounting Information
AbstractThis study investigates whether opportunistic earnings management affects the value relevance of net income and book value in determining stock price. We document a decrease in the value relevance of earnings in the year of an equity offering for a group of firms with ex post evidence of earnings management. This decrease is greater for the discretionary component of earnings than for the non-discretionary component. These results are robust to model specification and the type of offering. However, the results are sensitive to firms' disclosure activity prior to the offering. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tang, Tanya & Firth, Michael, 2011. "Can book-tax differences capture earnings management and tax Management? Empirical evidence from China," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 175-204, June.
- Chen, Ching-Lung & Lu, Ming-Che & Yen, Gili, 2012. "Dilution/incentive effects associating with employee bonuses in Taiwan: Empirical findings under two regimes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 267-283.
- Hany Kamel & Said Elbanna, 2010. "Assessing the perceptions of the quality of reported earnings in Egypt," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 32-52, January.
- John M. Barrios & Marco Fasan & Daniele Macciocchi, 2013. "CEO turnover, earnings management and value relevance. A theoretical analysis on the Italian context," Working Papers 11, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Jamal Barzegari Khanagha, 2011. "Value Relevance of Accounting Information in the United Arab Emirates," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(2), pages 33-45, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.