What Role Taxes and Regulation? A Second Look at Open Market Share Buyback Activity in the UK
AbstractThis paper re-examines the evidence on open market share repurchase activity reported by Rau and Vermaelen (2002) for the UK. Using data from the Securities Data Corporation (SDC), Rau and Vermaelen conclude that the level of repurchase activity is trivial. They attribute the low repurchase volume to regulatory restrictions that limit companies' ability to take advantage of an undervalued stock price and conclude that the bulk of repurchase activity that does occur is driven by the desire to generate tax credits for pension funds. Using data collected from a variety of sources, we find that the SDC substantially understates UK open market buyback activity. Based on our more comprehensive dataset we conclude that (a) pension funds' tax considerations are not the primary cause of UK share repurchases and (b) despite the prevailing regulatory environment, underpricing still represents an important determinant of repurchase activity. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004-01)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s,"
2005-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005. "Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s," Discussion Paper 2005-002, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
- Andriosopoulos, Dimitris & Andriosopoulos, Kostas & Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "Information disclosure, CEO overconfidence, and share buyback completion rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5486-5499.
- Carol Padgett & Zhiqi Wang, . "Short-Term Returns of UK Share Buyback Activity," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2007-10, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Yook, Ken C., 2010. "Long-run stock performance following stock repurchases," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 323-331, August.
- Renneboog, Luc & Trojanowski, Grzegorz, 2011. "Patterns in payout policy and payout channel choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1477-1490, June.
- Farrugia, Damien & Graham, Michael & Yawson, Alfred, 2011. "Economic conditions and the motives for multiple open-market share buybacks," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Control Structures and Payout Policy,"
2005-014, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Firth, Michael & Leung, T.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2010.
"Double signals or single signal? An investigation of insider trading around share repurchases,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 376-388, October.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2008. "Double Signals or Single Signal? An Investigation of Insider Trading Around Share Repurchases," Working Papers 222008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Andriosopoulos, Dimitris & Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "The determinants of share repurchases in Europe," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-76.
- Ken Yook & Partha Gangopadhyay, 2011. "A comprehensive examination of the wealth effects of recent stock repurchase announcements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 509-529, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.