Dividend Policy, Corporate Governance and the Managerial Entrenchment Hypothesis: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses the agency explanation for the cross-sectional variation of corporate dividend policy in the UK by looking at the managerial entrenchment hypothesis drawn from the agency literature. Consistent with predictions, a significant U-shaped relationship between dividend payout ratios and insider ownership is observed for a large (exceeding 600 firms) sample of UK companies and two distinct periods. These results strongly suggest the possibility of managerial entrenchment when insider ownership reaches a threshold of around 30%. Evidence is also presented that non-beneficial holdings by insiders can lead to entrenchment in conjunction with shares held beneficially. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003-12)
Issue (Month): 9-10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krishna Reddy & Stuart Locke & Frank Scrimgeour, 2010. "The efficacy of principle-based corporate governance practices and firm financial performance: An empirical investigation," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(3), pages 190-219, July.
- Tom Van Caneghem & Walter Aerts, 2011. "Intra-industry conformity in dividend policy," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 492-516, June.
- Isakov, Dusan & Weisskopf, Jean-Philippe, 2013. "Do not wake sleeping dogs: Pay-out policies in founding family firms," FSES Working Papers 443, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland.
- Amoako-Adu, Ben & Baulkaran, Vishaal & Smith, Brian F., 2014. "Analysis of dividend policy of dual and single class U.S corporations," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 1-29.
- Joshua Abor & Godfred A. Bokpin, 2010. "Investment opportunities, corporate finance, and dividend payout policy: Evidence from emerging markets," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 180-194, August.
- Patrice Charlier & Céline Du Boys, 2009. "Gouvernance Familiale Et Repartition De La Valeur : Etude Des Politiques De Distribution Aux Actionnaires Des Entreprises Familiales Cotees," Post-Print halshs-00455729, HAL.
- Jorge Farinha & Oscar Lopez-de-Foronda, 2009.
"The relation between dividends and insider ownership in different legal systems: international evidence,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 169-189.
- Jorge Farinha & Óscar López de Foronda, 2005. "The relation between dividends and insider ownership in different legal systems: international evidence," CEF.UP Working Papers 0509, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Henry, Darren, 2011. "Ownership structure and tax-friendly dividends," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2747-2760, October.
- Yuting Huang & Anlin Chen & Lanfeng Kao, 2012. "Corporate governance in Taiwan: The nonmonotonic relationship between family ownership and dividend policy," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 39-58, March.
- Liu, Chunyan & Uchida, Konari & Yang, Yufeng, 2014. "Controlling shareholder, split-share structure reform and cash dividend payments in China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 339-357.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Control Structures and Payout Policy,"
2005-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2013. "Legal Institutions, Ownership Concentration, and Stock Repurchases Around the World: Signal Mimicking?," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 427-458.
- Kimie Harada & Pascal Nguyen, 2011. "Ownership concentration and dividend policy in Japan," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(4), pages 362-379, April.
- Sharma, Vineeta, 2011. "Independent directors and the propensity to pay dividends," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 1001-1015, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.