How Issue Size, Risk, and Complexity are Influencing External Financing Costs: German IPOs Analyzed from an Economies of Scale Perspective
AbstractThis paper is focused on the cost of raising capital in Germany. A cross-sectional analysis of flotation cost data for 117 IPOs over the years 1993-1998 is presented. We find average flotation costs to be 7.77 percent of gross proceeds, while underwriting fees average 5.01 percent. Our results extend the literature in two important directions. First, contrary to the conventional economies of scale view we find marginal spreads to be rather constant in gross proceeds and to be higher for more risky and more complex offerings. Fixed costs amount to 5 to 9 percent of underwriting fees. Second, by applying a principal component analysis we find issue size, an issuer risk factor, and an offering method complexity factor to have an economicaly meaningful impact on underwriting fees. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Franzke, Stefanie A. & Grohs, Stefanie & Laux, Christian, 2003. "Initial public offerings and venture capital in Germany," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lin, Justin Yifu & Sun, Xifang & Jiang, Ye, 2009. "Toward a theory of optimal financial structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5038, The World Bank.
- Kaserer, Christoph & Mettler, Alfred & Obernberger, Stefan, 2008.
"The impact of the Sarbanes-Oxley act on the cost of going public,"
CEFS Working Paper Series
2008-07, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
- Christoph Kaserer & Alfred Mettler & Stefan Obernberger, 2011. "The Impact of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on the Cost of Going Public," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 125-147, December.
- Ranajit Kumar Bairagi & William Dimovski, 2010. "The underpricing of US REIT IPOs: 1996--2010," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 233-248, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.