The Expected Return and Exercise Time of Merton-style Real Options
AbstractWe analyse the rate of return and expected exercise time of Merton-style options (1973) employed in many real option situations where the possibility of exercise is both perpetual and American in nature. Using risk-neutral and risk-adjusted pricing techniques, Merton-style options are shown to have an expected return that is a "constant percentage" of the option value and independent of the proximity to the critical exercise boundary. Merton options thus remain at the same point on the Security Market Line, unlike European options whose position and rate of return change dynamically. We also present formulae for the expected time and discounted times to exercise and analyse the dependency of these variables on volatility. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 29 (2002-04)
Issue (Month): 3&4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Driffill & Martin Sola & Turalay Kenc, 2009.
"Real Options with Priced Regime-Switching Risk,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2009-09, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- John Driffill & Turalay Kenc & Martin Sola, 2013. "Real Options With Priced Regime-Switching Risk," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(05), pages 1350028-1-1.
- Kit Wong, 2010. "On the neutrality of debt in investment intensity," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 335-356, July.
- Richard Buttimer & Steven Clark & Steven Ott, 2008. "Land Development: Risk, Return and Risk Management," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 81-102, January.
- Giovanni Villani, 2008. "R&D Cooperation in Real Option Game Analysis," Quaderni DSEMS 19-2008, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.