Time Varying Beta Risk: An Analysis of Alternative Modelling Techniques
AbstractThis paper investigates the performance of three different approaches to modelling time-variation in conditional asset betas: GARCH models, the extended market model of Schwert and Seguin (1990) and the Kalman Filter algorithm. Using daily UK industry returns, we find the simple market model beta to be as efficient as the more complicated GARCH type models. However, the Kalman Filter algorithm incorporating a random walk parameterisation dominates all other models under the mean-square error criterion. Finally, we provide strong evidence that a combination of the methods under investigation may lead to considerably more powerful estimators of the time-variation in conditional beta. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000-06)
Issue (Month): 5&6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ibrahim Onour, . "Exploring Stability of Systematic Risk: Sectoral Portfolio Analysis," API-Working Paper Series 1002, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Guidi, Francesco, 2008.
"Volatility and Long Term Relations in Equity Markets: Empirical Evidence from Germany, Switzerland, and the UK,"
11535, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Guidi, 2009. "Volatility and Long-Term Relations in Equity Markets: Empirical Evidence from Germany, Switzerland, and the UK," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 7-39, June.
- Jakobsen, Jan & Voetmann, Torben, 1999.
"Post-Acquisition Performance in the Short and Long Run Evidence from the Copenhagen Stock Exchange 1993-1997,"
2000-4, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Jan Bo Jakobsen & Torben Voetmann, 2003. "Post-acquisition performance in the short and long run. Evidence from the Copenhagen Stock Exchange 1993-1997," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 323-342.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2008. "Forward-Looking Beta Estimates:Evidence from an Emerging Market," MPRA Paper 14992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chris Tofallis, 2011. "Investment Volatility: A Critique of Standard Beta Estimation and a Simple Way Forward," Papers 1109.4422, arXiv.org.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2005.
"Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques,"
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2008. "Time-varying beta risk of Pan-European industry portfolios: A comparison of alternative modeling techniques," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 771-802.
- Charles S. Bos & Phillip Gould, 2007. "Dynamic Correlations and Optimal Hedge Ratios," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-025/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sascha Mergner, 2005. "Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Sectors: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques," Finance 0509024, EconWPA.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2009. "Natural Gas markets:How Sensitive to Crude Oil Price Changes?," MPRA Paper 14937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2010.
"The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries,"
23332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dr. Ibrahim Onour, . "The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries," API-Working Paper Series 1009, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.