Penetrating the Book-to-Market Black Box: The R&D Effect
AbstractThe book-to-market (BM) phenomenon - the positive association between BM and subsequent returns - looms large among capital market enigmas. Economic theory postulates that the difference between market and book values of companies reflects their future abnormal profits. We capture these abnormal profits for a large sample of science-based companies by estimating the value of the off-balance sheet investment generating those profits - the value of R&D capital - and show empirically: (i) Firms' R&D capital is associated with their subsequent stock returns. (ii) For R&D intensive firms, this 'R&D effect' subsumes the 'book-to-market effect.' (iii) The association between R&D and subsequent returns appears to result from an extra-market risk factor inherent in R&D, rather than from stock mispricing. We thus provide an explanation for the book-to-market phenomenon of R&D companies. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 1999.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cazavan-Jeny , Anne & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2003. "Value Relevance of R&D Reporting : A Signaling Interpretation," ESSEC Working Papers DR 03021, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Paugam, Luc, 2011. "Valorisation et reporting du goodwill : enjeux théoriques et empiriques," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/8007 edited by Casta, Jean-François.
- Ana Cunha & José Moreira, 2010. "Relevância informativa das Despesas de Investigação e Desenvolvimento: um estudo para o caso português," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 31, pages 06-23, June.
- Cazavan-Jeny, Anne, 2003. "Value-relevance of expensed and capitalized intangibles - a French survey," ESSEC Working Papers DR 03022, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Aslihan E. Bozcuk, 2012. "Internet financial reporting: Turkish companies adapt to change," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(8), pages 786-800, August.
- Corinne Bessieux-Ollier & Marie Chavent & Vanessa Kuentz & Elisabeth Walliser, 2012. "The mandatory adoption of IFRS on intangibles: upheaval or inertia? The case of France," International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1), pages 91-113.
- Anne-Laure Farjaudon, 2006. "L'évaluation des marques, au carrefour des recherches en comptabilité, finance, contrôle de gestion et marketing," Post-Print halshs-00548127, HAL.
- Corinne Bessieux-Ollier & Marie Chavent & Vanessa Kuentz & Elisabeth Walliser, 2010. "L'adoption en France des normes IFRS relatives aux incorporels : bouleversement des pratiques ou inertie ?," Post-Print halshs-00526410, HAL.
- Constant Djama & Guillaume Dumas & Isabelle Martinez, 2013. "Entreprises innovantes et gestion des résultats comptables," Post-Print hal-01002932, HAL.
- Gaëlle Lenormand & Lionel Touchais, 2008. "La pertinence des actifs incorporels avec les IFRS," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(2), pages 173-201, June.
- Ester Oliveras & Oriol Amat, 2003. "Ethics and creative accounting: Some empirical evidence on accounting for intangibles in Spain," Economics Working Papers 732, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Farjaudon, Anne-Laure & Jaoued-Abassi, Leyla, 2010. "Valeur marketing et valeur financière de la marque : Vers un modèle intégrateur," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5893, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.