The Provision of Non-audit Services and the Pricing of Audit Fees
AbstractThere have been a number of studies examining audit fees and this research has covered various nations. Recent legislation in Norway requires a company to disclose information on the audit fee and the fees for non-audit services paid to its auditor. Using this data, models of audit fee structure are developed. As with other studies, the size of the company is a major determinant of the audit fee. Payments for non-audit services are positively and significantly associated with audit fees; this relationship is difficult to explain although it parallels some research in the United States. Overall, the models explain about 75 per cent of the variability in audit fees. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 1997.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997-04)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas G. Calderon & Emeka Ofobike, 2008. "Determinants of client-initiated and auditor-initiated auditor changes," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 4-25, January.
- Arrunada, Benito, 1999.
"The provision of non-audit services by auditors let the market evolve and decide,"
International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 513-531, December.
- Benito ArruÃ±ada, 1999. "The provision on non-audit services by auditors: Let the market evolve and decide," Economics Working Papers 423, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Niemi, Lasse, 2005. "Audit effort and fees under concentrated client ownership: Evidence from four international audit firms," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 303-323.
- Nathalie Gonthier-Besacier & Alain Schatt, 2006. "Determinants of Audit Fees for French Quoted Firms," Working Papers CREGO, UniversitÃ© de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations 1060301, UniversitÃ© de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- L. Van De Velde & I. De Beelde, 2009. "Audit- and non-audit fees and company characteristics in Belgium," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration 09/589, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sophie Audousset-Coulier, 2006. "L'influence du gouvernement d'entreprise et du co-commissariat aux comptes sur la dÃ©termination des honoraires d'audit des sociÃ©tÃ©s cotÃ©es franÃ§aises," Post-Print halshs-00548082, HAL.
- Seetharaman, Ananth & Gul, Ferdinand A. & Lynn, Stephen G., 2002. "Litigation risk and audit fees: evidence from UK firms cross-listed on US markets," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 91-115, February.
- Noel O'Sullivan, 2000. "The Determinants of Non-Executive Representation on the Boards of Large UK Companies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 283-297, December.
- Ball, Ray & Jayaraman, Sudarshan & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2012. "Audited financial reporting and voluntary disclosure as complements: A test of the Confirmation Hypothesis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 136-166.
- Noel O'Sullivan, 1999. "Board characteristics and audit pricing post-Cadbury: a research note," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 253-263.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.