Detecting Information from Directors' Trades: Signal Definition and Variable Size Effects
AbstractThere have been three empirical studies examining the share price reaction following trades by directors of UK companies (King and Poell, 1988; Pope, Morris and Peel, 1990; and Gregory, Matatko, Tonks and Pukiss, 1994). All three of these UK studies used different definitions of 'buy' and 'sell' signals resulting from the transactions of directors and employ different controls to detect the presence of any 'size effects'. We investigate whether the signal definition explains the different conclusions drawn by these earlier studies, and examine whether or not any observed abnormal returns are explicable by the small companies effect. We also investigate trading strategies based on holding a long portfolio of shares purchased or a short portfolio of shares sold by directors held until the end of the study period or until a 'reserving event' (e.g. a sale following a purchase by director[s] is observed). Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 1997.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997-04)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rose, Caspar, 2003. "Impact of investor meetings/presentations on share prices, insider trading and securities regulation," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 227-236, September.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2010.
"To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3-4), pages 369-407.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2009. "To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 09/613, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Bruce Burton & A. Alasdair Lonie & David Power, 2003. "Insider trading, growth opportunities and the market reaction to new financing announcements," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 301-322.
- Cheng, Louis & Firth, Michael & Leung, T.Y. & Rui, Oliver, 2006. "The effects of insider trading on liquidity," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 467-483, November.
- Cheng, Louis T.W. & Davidson III, Wallace N. & Leung, T.Y., 2011. "Insider trading returns and dividend signals," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 421-429, June.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005.
"Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration,"
2005-025, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jana P. Fidrmuc & Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2006. "Insider Trading, News Releases, and Ownership Concentration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2931-2973, December.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Discussion Paper 2005-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Firth, Michael & Leung, T.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2010.
"Double signals or single signal? An investigation of insider trading around share repurchases,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 376-388, October.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2008. "Double Signals or Single Signal? An Investigation of Insider Trading Around Share Repurchases," Working Papers 222008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Kyriacos Kyriacou & Bryan Mase, 2006. "The Adverse Consequences of Share-Based Pay in Risky Companies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 307-323, September.
- Nadia Linciano, 2003. "The Effectiveness of Insider Trading Regulation in Italy. Evidence from Stock-Price Run-Ups Around Announcements of Corporate Control Transactions," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008.
"Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor their Investee Firms?,"
2008-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008. "Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor Their Investee Firms?," Discussion Paper 2008-016, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2009.
"Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency,"
042009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2011. "Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 505-533.
- Katherine Uylangco & Steve Easton & Robert Faff, 2010. "The equity and efficiency of the Australian share market with respect to director trading," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 5-19, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.