Determinants of Adoption of Protected Designation of Origin Label: Evidence from the French Brie Cheese Industry
AbstractThis paper investigates empirically the determinants of agro-food firms' adoption of the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) label. A unique dataset containing firm-level cost and production information on the French Brie cheese is used, covering the period 1980-2000. The Brie cheese data are especially relevant as PDO Brie producers have coexisted with other non-PDO producers since 1981. To evaluate the producers' incentive to opt for PDO certification, we use a structural switching regression model which incorporates cost and production structure variables. Results show that PDO certification is less attractive the higher the costs of raw materials and the greater the size of the company. PDO Brie cheese production costs are estimated to be on average 40% higher than those for non-PDO Brie. The PDO production process could be technically inefficient when compared with the unconstrained non-PDO manufacturing; yet, PDO producers benefit from a price premium on their product which offsets their higher production cost. Copyright (c) 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2010 The Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 61 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jianyu, Yu, 2013. "Production Standards, Competition and Vertical Relationship," TSE Working Papers 13-417, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012.
"Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
741, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry," TSE Working Papers 12-335, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Dentoni, Domenico & Menozzi, Davide & Capelli, Maria Giacinta, 2012. "Group heterogeneity and cooperation on the geographical indication regulation: The case of the “Prosciutto di Parma” Consortium," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 207-216.
- Diez-Vial, Isabel, 2011. "Geographical cluster and performance: The case of Iberian ham," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 517-525, August.
- Resano, Helena & Sanjuán, Ana I. & Albisu, Luis M., 2012. "Consumers’ response to the EU Quality policy allowing for heterogeneous preferences," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 355-365.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2010. "Firm Survival and Quality Labels in the Food Industry," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61377, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Yu, Jianyu, 2011.
"Quality Choice, Competition and Vertical Relationship in a Market of Protected Designation of Origin,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114264, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Yu, Jianyu, 2011. "Quality Choice, Competition and Vertical Relationship in a Market of Protected Designation of Origin," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103607, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chaaban, Jad, 2010. "Is the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) Policy Successful in Sustaining Rural Employment?," 116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy 94987, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Di Vita, Giuseppe & D'Amico, Mario, 2013. "Origin Designation And Profitability For Small Wine Grape Growers: Evidence From A Comparative Study," Economics of Agriculture, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 60(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.