Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect
AbstractThe markets for management buyouts in the U.K. and continental Europe have experienced dramatic growth in the past ten years. In the U.K., buyouts accounted for half of the total M&A activity (measured by value) in 2005. And as in the U.S. during the'80s, the greatest number of U.K. buyouts in recent years have been management- and investor-led acquisitions of divisions of large corporations. In continental Europe, by contrast, the largest fraction of deals has involved the purchase of family-owned private businesses. But in recent years, increased pressure for shareholder value in countries like France, Netherlands, and even Germany has led to a growing number of buyouts of divisions of listed companies. Like the U.K., continental Europe has also seen a small but growing number of purchases of entire public companies (known as private-to-public transactions, or PTPs), including the largest ever buyout in Europe, the €13 billion purchase this year of the Danish corporation TDC. 2006 Morgan Stanley.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Morgan Stanley in its journal Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.
Volume (Year): 18 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1078-1196
Other versions of this item:
- Wright, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Scholes, L., 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Paper 2006-70, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wright, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Scholes, L., 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Paper 2006-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chun I. Lee & Stuart Rosenstein & Nanda Rangan & Wallace N. Davidson III, 1992. "Board Composition and Shareholder Wealth: The Case of Management Buyouts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(1), Spring.
- David Citron & Mike Wright & Rod Ball & Fred Rippington, 2003. "Secured Creditor Recovery Rates from Management Buy-outs in Distress," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(2), pages 141-161.
- Easterwood, John C, et al, 1994. "Controlling the Conflict of Interest in Management Buyouts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 512-22, August.
- C. Weir & D. Laing & M. Wright, 2005. "Undervaluation, private information, agency costs and the decision to go private," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 947-961.
- Kaplan, Steven, 1989. "The effects of management buyouts on operating performance and value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 217-254.
- Lehn, Kenneth & Poulsen, Annette, 1989. " Free Cash Flow and Stockholder Gains in Going Private Transactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 771-87, July.
- Ranko Jelic & Brahim Saadouni & Mike Wright, 2005. "Performance of Private to Public MBOs: The Role of Venture Capital," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3-4), pages 643-682.
- W. V. Harlow & John S. Howe, 1993. "Leveraged Buyouts and Insider Nontrading," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(1), Spring.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Lee, D Scott, 1992. " Management Buyout Proposals and Inside Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1061-79, July.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Wright, M., 2005.
"Leveraged Public to Private Transactions in the UK,"
2005-015, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Wright, M., 2005. "Leveraged Public to Private Transactions in the UK," Discussion Paper 2005-60, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Charlie Weir & David Laing & Mike Wright, 2005. "Incentive Effects, Monitoring Mechanisms and the Market for Corporate Control: An Analysis of the Factors Affecting Public to Private Transactions in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 909-943.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Rice, Edward M, 1984. "Going Private: Minority Freezeouts and Stockholder Wealth," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 367-401, October.
- Vives,Xavier (ed.), 2006. "Corporate Governance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521032032, December.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- Marais, Laurentius & Schipper, Katherine & Smith, Abbie, 1989. "Wealth effects of going private for senior securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 155-191, June.
- Van de Gucht, Linda M. & Moore, William T., 1998. "Predicting the duration and reversal probability of leveraged buyouts," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 299-315, October.
- Neil Conway & Simon Deakin & Suzzanne J. Konzelmann & Héloïse Petit & Antoine Rebérioux & Frank Wilkinson, 2008. "The Influence of Stock Market Listing on Human Resource Managment: Evidence for France and Britain," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp366, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Dirk Engel & Joel Stiebale, 2009. "Private Equity, Investment and Financial Constraints – Firm-Level Evidence for France and the United Kingdom," Ruhr Economic Papers 0126, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Cumming, Douglas & Zambelli, Simona, 2010. "Illegal buyouts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 441-456, February.
- Goossens, L. & Manigart, S. & Meuleman, M., 2007.
"The change of ownership after a buyout: Impact on performance,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2007-26, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- L. Goossens & S. Manigart & M. Meuleman, 2007. "The Change In Ownership After A Buyout: Impact On Performance," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/484, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.