Two Dcf Approaches For Valuing Companies Under Alternative Financing Strategies (And How To Choose Between Them)
AbstractThis is the sequel to the authors' 1989 article discussing the two basic discounted cash flow approaches for valuing debt-financed transactions and corporations: weighted average cost of capital (WACC) and adjusted present value (APV). The WACC method discounts all after-tax (but pre-interest) cash flows at the company's weighted average cost of capital. The APV method treats the value of a levered firm as the value of the same firm if financed entirely with equity plus the discounted value of the interest tax shields from the debt its assets will support. The authors argue that the WACC approach is more practical if the firm intends to hold its (market) leverage ratio relatively constant over time, but that the APV technique is the preferred method if the firm plans to reduce its leverage ratio according to a pre-determined schedule (as tends to be the case in highly leveraged transactions). 1997 Morgan Stanley.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Morgan Stanley in its journal Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1078-1196
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004.
"The value of tax shields is NOT equal to the present value of tax shields,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 145-165, July.
- Fernández , Pablo, 2002. "The value of tax shields is not equal to the present value of tax shields," IESE Research Papers D/459, IESE Business School.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004. "Value of tax shields and the risk of the net increase of debt, The. Year 2004," IESE Research Papers D/544, IESE Business School.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2007. "A more realistic valuation: APV and WACC with constant book leverage ratio," IESE Research Papers D/715, IESE Business School.
- Pablo Fernández, 2007.
"Valuing companies by cash flow discounting: ten methods and nine theories,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(11), pages 853-876.
- Fernández , Pablo, 2002. "Valuing companies by cash flow discounting: Ten methods and nine theories," IESE Research Papers D/451, IESE Business School.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004. "Equivalence of ten different discounted cash flow valuation methods," IESE Research Papers D/549, IESE Business School.
- Christian Koziol, 2014. "A simple correction of the WACC discount rate for default risk and bankruptcy costs," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 653-666, May.
- Richard Sweeney, 2014. "Equivalent valuations in cash flow and accounting models," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 29-49, January.
- Pierru, Axel & Roussanaly, Simon & Sabathier, Jérôme, 2013. "Capital structure in LNG infrastructures and gas pipelines projects: Empirical evidences and methodological issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 285-291.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2005. "Financial literature about discounted cash flow valuation," IESE Research Papers D/606, IESE Business School.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Henseleit, Christoph, 2009. "The valuation of tax shields induced by asset step-ups in corporate acquisitions," IESE Research Papers D/785, IESE Business School.
- Pierru, Axel, 2009. ""The weighted average cost of capital is not quite right": A rejoinder," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1481-1484, November.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2003. "Equivalence of ten different methods for valuing companies by cash flow discounting," IESE Research Papers D/524, IESE Business School.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2006. "A general formula for the WACC: A correction," IESE Research Papers D/663, IESE Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.