The Eurosystem's Operational Framework in the Context of the ECB's Monetary Policy Strategy
AbstractThis paper discusses the implications of the European Central Bank's monetary policy strategy for the Eurosystem's operational framework, in the context of the transmission mechanism of monetary policy in the euro area. The first part of the paper uses an analytical framework common to many recent analyses of monetary policy to distinguish the operational and strategic elements of monetary policy making. The second part of the paper describes and discusses the choices made by the ECB and the Eurosystem with regard to monetary policy strategy and operational framework. In this respect, the paper highlights that the design of both these aspects of the single monetary policy reflect, in large part, the need for policy makers to retain flexibility in the face of an uncertain environment. Copyright 2001 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal International Finance.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1367-0271
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stracca, Livio & Ejerskov, Steen & Martin Moss, Clara, 2003. "How does the ECB allot liquidity in its weekly main refinancing operations? A look at the empirical evidence," Working Paper Series 0244, European Central Bank.
- Benito, Francis & Leon, Angel & Nave, Juan, 2007. "Modeling the Euro overnight rate," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 756-782, December.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andrés, 2001.
"The microstructure of the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0080, European Central Bank.
- Ewerhart, Christian, 2002. "A model of the Eurosystem's operational framework for monetary policy implementation," Working Paper Series 0197, European Central Bank.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001.
"The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market,"
Working Paper Series
0069, European Central Bank.
- Gaspar, Vitor & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 325-42, October.
- Vítor Gaspar & Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Jorge Sicilia, 2001. "The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market," Working Papers 47, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Bredin, Don & Fitzpatrick, Trevor & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2001.
"Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through: The Irish Experience,"
Research Technical Papers
6/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Don Bredin & Trevor Fitzpatrick & Gerard O Reilly, 2002. "Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through - The Irish Experience," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(2), pages 223-246.
- Wang, Kuan-Min & Lee, Yuan-Ming, 2009. "Market volatility and retail interest rate pass-through," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1270-1282, November.
- Kuan-Min Wang, 2010. "Expected and Unexpected Impulses of Monetary Policy on the Interest Pass-Through Mechanism in Asian Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 11(1), pages 95-137, May.
- Ángel León & Francis Benito & Juan Nave, 2006. "Modeling The Euro Overnight Rate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Ejerskov, Steen & Valla, Natacha, 2003. "Optimal allotment policy in the Eurosystem's main refinancing operations," Working Paper Series 0295, European Central Bank.
- Laurent Clerc & Françoise Drumetz & François Haas, 2002. "The influence of structural changes on market functioning and its implications for monetary policy: a focus on the euro area," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 43-64 Bank for International Settlements.
- Vítor Gaspar & Gabriel Perez-Quirós & Jorge Sicilia, 2002. "The monetary policy decisions of the ECB and the money market," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 402-411 Bank for International Settlements.
- Livio Stracca & Clara Martin Moss & Livio Stracca, 2004. "Demand and supply in the ECB's main refinancing operations," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 94, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.