Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds: An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector
AbstractThe concept of the 'employment threshold' plays an important role in the public discussion of unemployment. The employment threshold is defined as that growth rate of output necessary to keep employment constant despite the continuous rise in productivity. It is related to the Okun coefficient which describes the relationship between the changes in output and unemployment. Many contributions to this debate give the impression that the employment threshold is more or less a structural characteristic independent of economic variables. In this paper we derive short- and long-run employment thresholds from an input demand system and show empirically that they depend on factor prices and capital accumulation. Higher wage rates raise the employment threshold and reduce the probability that a positive output shock will increase employment. Copyright Verein fü Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal German Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 2 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2000. "Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds. An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector," CESifo Working Paper Series 264, CESifo Group Munich.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1978. "Applications of Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 3 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1984. "Systematic sampling and temporal aggregation in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-281, December.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1997. "Is There a Core of Practical Macroeconomics That We Should All Believe?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 240-43, May.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Hesse, Dieter M., 1986. "Measuring and assessing capacity utilization in the manufacturing sectors of nine oecd countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 961-989, October.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 1997. "The Demand of Heterogeneous Labour in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Klaus Abberger & Gebhard Flaig & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2007. "ifo Konjunkturumfragen und Konjunkturanalyse : ausgewählte methodische Aufsätze aus dem ifo Schnelldienst," ifo Forschungsberichte, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 33, July.
- Gebhard Flaig & Wolfgang Nierhaus & Wolfgang Meister & Oscar-Erich Kuntze & Andrea Gebauer & Erich Langmantel & Martin Meurers & Monika Ruschinski & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2003. "ifo Konjunkturprognose 2004: Erholung hat begonnen," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 56(24), pages 16-42, December.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2007. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth. An International Comparison," CESifo Working Paper Series 2175, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jung, Sven, 2012. "Employment adjustment in German firms," Discussion Papers 80, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- PERUGINI, Cristiano, 2009.
"Employment Intensity Of Growth In Italy. A Note Using Regional Data,"
Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Cristiano Perugini, 2008. "Employment Intensity of Growth in Italy A Note Using Regional Data," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 55/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Beate Schirwitz, 2005. "Wirtschaftswachstum und Beschäftigung : die Beschäftigungsschwelle (Wachstum und Beschäftigung)," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(03), pages 34-37, 06.
- Guenter Lang, 2002. "Innovative Slowdown, Productivity Reversal? - Estimating the Impact of R&D on Technological Change," Discussion Paper Series 218, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2009. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(1), pages 22-35, February.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2004. "Erhöht der Kündigungsschutz die Beschäftigungsschwelle?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 57(17), pages 13-17, 09.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2000. "Outsourcing of services, imported materials and the demand for heterogeneous labour : an application of a generalised box-cox function," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and Employment Thresholds. An International Comparison," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Papers No.15, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.