The Economics of Capital Regulation in Financial Conglomerates
AbstractFinancial conglomerates combine banking, insurance and other financial services within a single corporation. In this non-technical paper I consider the rationale for capital regulation in such firms and I examine some current policy questions in the light of this discussion. My first conclusion is that the different institutional structure of bank and insurance companies mitigates against harmonisation of capital requirements across different conglomerate businesses. I also question the received industry view that regulators should account for diversification effects at the holding company level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics in its journal The Geneva Papers.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Route de Malagnou 53, CH - 1208 Geneva
Phone: +41-22 707 66 00
Fax: +41-22 736 75 36
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1018-5895
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Alan D. Morrison, 2002. "The Economics of Capital Regulation in Financial Conglomerates," OFRC Working Papers Series 2002fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benjamin Lorent, 2006.
"Raisons fondamentales d'une régulation prudentielle du secteur des assurances,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 49(3), pages 203-244.
- Benjamin Lorent, 2008. "Raisons Fondamentales d’une Régulation Prudentielle du Secteur des Assurances," Working Papers CEB 08-020.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andreani, Ettore, 2003. "Corporate Control and the Financial System in Germany: Recent Changes in the Role of Banks," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 37, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Albulescu, Claudiu Tiberiu, 2008. "Central Bank or Single Financial Supervision Authority: The Romanian Case," MPRA Paper 17225, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jan 2009.
- Mälkönen , Ville, 2004. "Capital adequacy regulation and financial conglomerates," Research Discussion Papers 10/2004, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.