The Impact of Fundamentals on IPO Valuation
Abstract"We examine how initial public offering (IPO) valuation has changed over time by focusing on three time periods: 1986-1990, January 1997 to March 2000 (designated as the boom period), and April 2000 to December 2001 (designated as the crash period). Using a sample of 1,655 IPOs, we find that firms with more negative earnings have higher valuations than do firms with less negative earnings and firms with more positive earnings have higher valuations than firms with less positive earnings. Our results suggest that negative earnings are a proxy for growth opportunities for Internet firms and that such growth options are a significant component of IPO firm value." Copyright (c) 2009 Financial Management Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association International in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331, Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0046-3892
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L’Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2012. "Seasoned equity offerings by small and medium-sized enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 449-465, May.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2010. "Seasoned Equity Offerings by Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-07, CIRANO.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "L’escompte canadien : un réexamen," CIRANO Project Reports 2011rp-11, CIRANO.
- Cécile Carpentier & Douglas Cumming & Jean-Marc Suret, 2010. "The Valuation Effect of Listing Requirements: An Analysis of Venture Capital-Backed IPOs," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-01, CIRANO.
- Congsheng Wu, 2012. "Country risk and valuation of US-listed foreign IPOs," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 939-957, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.