Penny Stock IPOs
AbstractWe examine underpricing, long-run returns, lockup periods, and gross spreads for penny stock IPOs over the 1990-1998 period. We find that penny stock IPOs have higher initial returns than ordinary IPOs, but significantly worse long-run underperformance. We also find that penny stock IPOs have longer lockup periods and larger gross spreads. To explore the effect of potential market manipulation, we examine IPOs led by a group of underwriters that were the subject of SEC enforcement actions and/or other penalties. Penny stock issues led by these banks are particularly underpriced and underperform ordinary IPOs led by other underwriters. Copyright (c) 2006 Financial Management Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association International in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331, Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0046-3892
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "The survival and success of Canadian penny stock IPOs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 101-121, January.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Survival and Success of Canadian Penny Stock IPOs," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-28, CIRANO.
- Carpentier, Cécile & L'Her, Jean-François & Suret, Jean-Marc, 2010. "Stock exchange markets for new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 403-422, July.
- Hoa Nguyen & William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2010.
"Underpricing, Risk Management, Hot Issue and Crowding out Effects: Evidence From the Australian Resources Sector Initial Public Offerings,"
Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(03), pages 333-361.
- Hoa Nguyen & William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2007. "Underpricing, Risk Management, Hot Issue and Crowding out Effects: Evidence from the Australian Resources Sector Initital Public Offerings," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2007_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "Investir dans des titres de petite capitalisation : le cas de la Bourse de croissance TSX," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-07, CIRANO.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2008. "Stock Exchange Markets for New Ventures," CIRANO Working Papers 2008s-12, CIRANO.
- Kenji Kutsuna & William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2008. "The Pricing and Underwriting Costs of Japanese REIT IPOs," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 221-239, November.
- James C. Brau & J. Troy Carpenter, 2012. "Efficacy of the 1992 Small Business Incentive Act," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 204-217, August.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Canadian Public Venture Capital Market," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-08, CIRANO.
- Dimovski, William & Brooks, Robert, 2008. "The underpricing of gold mining initial public offerings," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Rhee, S. Ghon & Wu, Feng, 2012. "Anything wrong with breaking a buck? An empirical evaluation of NASDAQ's $1 minimum bid price maintenance criterion," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 258-285.
- Daniel Konku & Vivek Bhargava, 2012. "IPO underpricing and their determinants: penny stocks versus non-penny stocks," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 69-88.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.