Capacity Constraints and Hedge Fund Strategy Returns
Abstract"Hedge funds have generated significant absolute returns (alpha) in the decade between 1995 and 2004. However, the level of alpha has declined substantially over this period. We investigate whether capacity constraints at the level of hedge fund strategies have been responsible for this decline. For four out of eight hedge fund strategies, capital inflows have statistically preceded negative movements in alpha, consistent with this hypothesis. We also find evidence that hedge fund fees have increased over the same period. Our results provide support for the""Berk and Green (2004)""rational model of active portfolio management." Copyright 2007 The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shawky, Hany A. & Dai, Na & Cumming, Douglas, 2012. "Diversification in the hedge fund industry," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 166-178.
- Tarun Ramadorai, 2012.
"The Secondary Market for Hedge Funds and the Closed Hedge Fund Premium,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 67(2), pages 479-512, 04.
- Ramadorai, Tarun, 2008. "The Secondary Market for Hedge Funds and the Closed-Hedge Fund Premium," CEPR Discussion Papers 6877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Salganik, G., 2010. "Essays on investment flows of hedge fund and mutual fund investors," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4378358, Tilburg University.
- Akay, Ozgur (Ozzy) & Senyuz, Zeynep & Yoldas, Emre, 2013. "Hedge fund contagion and risk-adjusted returns: A Markov-switching dynamic factor approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 16-29.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Saikat Sovan Deb, 2012.
"Capacity Constraints and the Opening of New Hedge Funds,"
1013, Purdue University, Department of Consumer Sciences.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Saikat Sovan Deb, 2012. "Capacity Constraints and the Opening of New Hedge Funds," Working Papers 1015, Purdue University, Department of Consumer Sciences, revised Jul 2013.
- Eling, Martin & Faust, Roger, 2010. "The performance of hedge funds and mutual funds in emerging markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1993-2009, August.
- Ramadorai, Tarun, 2013. "Capacity constraints, investor information, and hedge fund returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 401-416.
- Akihiko Takahashi & Kyo Yamamoto, 2008. "Hedge Fund Replication ?Revised in November 2008, forthcoming in The Recent Trend of Hedge Fund Strategies)," CARF F-Series CARF-F-137, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Nucera, Federico & Valente, Giorgio, 2013.
"Carry trades and the performance of currency hedge funds,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 407-425.
- Federico Nucera & Giorgio Valente, 2013. "Carry Trades and the Performance of Currency Hedge Funds," Working Papers 032013, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Cumming, Douglas & Dai, Na & Haß, Lars Helge & Schweizer, Denis, 2012. "Regulatory induced performance persistence: Evidence from hedge funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 1005-1022.
- Agarwal, Vikas & Ray, Sugata, 2011. "Determinants and implications of fee changes in the hedge fund industry," CFR Working Papers 11-09, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Ramadorai, Tarun, 2010. "Investor Interest and Hedge Fund Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 8092, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dichev, Ilia D. & Yu, Gwen, 2011. "Higher risk, lower returns: What hedge fund investors really earn," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 248-263, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.