Competition and Concentration in the New European Banking Landscape
Abstract"This paper measures the degree of concentration and competition in the enlarged European Union (EU) banking environment over the period 1998-2002. In the empirical part we opt for a methodology as proposed by Panzar and Rosse based on a non-structural estimation of market competition. Our results suggest that European banks were operating under conditions of monopolistic competition and that bank interest revenues in the 10 new EU member states was earned under conditions of higher competition than those that existed in the old EU banking countries. The opposite result was observed for total operating revenues. Smaller banks earn interest income in a less competitive environment than larger banks, while the opposite is observed for total revenues." Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 12 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bana Abuzayed & Nedal Al-Fayoumi & Hisham Gharaibeh, 2012. "Competition in MENA countries banking markets," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(3), pages 272-301.
- Haq, Mamiza & Heaney, Richard, 2009. "European bank equity risk: 1995-2006," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 274-288, April.
- Carbo, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquin & Molyneux, Philip, 2006.
"Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking,"
15258, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Carbó, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquín & Molyneux, Philip, 2009. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 115-134, February.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & David Humphrey & Joaquin Maudos & Philip Molyneux, 2006. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Proceedings 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Humphrey David & Carbó Valverde Santiago & Maudos Villarroya Joaquín & Molyneux Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," Working Papers 201036, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Luis Gutiérrez de Rozas, 2007. "Testing for competition in the Spanish banking industry: The Panzar-Rosse approach revisited," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0726, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Measuring and explaining competition in the financial sector," Working Papers 09-01, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Hella Engerer, 2006. "Vom Dreisäulensystem zum Baustein des europäischen Hauses: Wandel von Eigentum und Wettbewerb im deutschen Bankensektor," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(4), pages 11-32.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2009. "Market power in local banking monopolies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1196-1210, July.
- Steve Mercieca & Klaus Schaeck & Simon Wolfe, 2009. "Bank Market Structure, Competition, and SME Financing Relationships in European Regions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 137-155, December.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Francesco Trivieri, 2010. "Is banking competition beneficial to SMEs? An empirical study based on Italian data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 335-355, October.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2010. "Evaluating the state of competition of the Greek banking industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 68-90, February.
- Stavarek, Daniel & Repkova, Iveta, 2011. "Estimation of the competitive conditions in the Czech banking sector," MPRA Paper 30720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2009. "Competitive behavior in Middle East and North Africa banking systems," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 693-710, May.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Christos & Varlagas, Panagiotis, 2008.
"On the measurement of market power in the banking industry,"
14038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manthos D. Delis & K. Christos Staikouras & Panagiotis T. Varlagas, 2008. "On the Measurement of Market Power in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7-8), pages 1023-1047.
- Paolo Coccorese, 2010. "Information Exchange as a Means of Collusion: The Case of the Italian Car Insurance Market," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 55-70, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.