The Determinants of Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from France, Germany and the UK
Abstract"We examine the determinants of the debt maturity structure of French, German and British firms. These countries represent different financial and legal traditions that may have implications on corporate debt maturity structure. Our model incorporates the factors representing three major theories (tax considerations, liquidity and signalling, and contracting costs) of debt maturity. It also controls for capital market conditions. The results confirm the applicability of most theories of debt maturity structure for the UK firms. However, the evidence from France and Germany are mixed. Overall the findings suggest that the debt maturity structure of a firm is determined by firm-specific factors and the country's financial systems and institutional traditions in which it operates". Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 12 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro García-Teruel & Pedro Martínez-Solano, 2010. "Ownership structure and debt maturity: new evidence from Spain," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 473-491, November.
- Cai, Kailan & Fairchild, Richard & Guney, Yilmaz, 2008. "Debt maturity structure of Chinese companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 268-297, June.
- Duanmu, Jing-Lin & Guney, Yilmaz, 2013. "Heterogeneous effect of ethnic networks on international trade of Thailand: The role of family ties and ethnic diversity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 126-139.
- Peter Gibbard & Ibrahim Stevens, 2006.
"Corporate debt and financial balance sheet adjustment: a comparison of the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany,"
Bank of England working papers
317, Bank of England.
- Peter Gibbard & Ibrahim Stevens, 2011. "Corporate debt and financial balance sheet adjustment: a comparison of the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 95-118, February.
- Guney, Yilmaz & Li, Ling & Fairchild, Richard, 2011. "The relationship between product market competition and capital structure in Chinese listed firms," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 41-51, January.
- Kirch, Guilherme & Terra, Paulo Renato Soares, 2012. "Determinants of corporate debt maturity in South America: Do institutional quality and financial development matter?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 980-993.
- López-Gracia, José & Mestre-Barberá, Reyes, 2011. "Tax effect on Spanish SME optimum debt maturity structure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(6), pages 649-655, June.
- Patricio Valenzuela, 2013. "Rollover risk and corporate bond spreads," Documentos de Trabajo 300, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Amanda E. Willsey & Dona Siregar, 2012. "The Effects Of The 2008-2009 Financial Crisis On U.S. Corporate Debt Structure," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 43(1), pages 16-32.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2007. "A more realistic valuation: APV and WACC with constant book leverage ratio," IESE Research Papers D/715, IESE Business School.
- Rataporn Deesomsak & Krishna Paudyal & Gioia Pescetto, 2007.
"Debt Maturity Structure and the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis,"
2007_01, Durham University Business School.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2009. "Debt maturity structure and the 1997 Asian financial crisis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-42, February.
- Tucker, Jon & Stoja, Evarist, 2011. "Industry membership and capital structure dynamics in the UK," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 207-214, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.