Why Do European Firms Issue Convertible Debt?
Abstract"We survey European managers to gain some insights into motivations of convertible issuance. Our analysis shows that a majority of firms issue convertibles as 'delayed equity' and as 'debt sweetener'. Managers also use convertibles to avoid short-term equity dilution and to signal firm's future growth opportunities. We document a large cross-sectional variation across firms in rationales for issuing convertibles and find mixed support for most theoretical models. Our evidence suggests that the popularity of convertibles is driven primarily by their versatility in adjusting their design to fit the financing needs of individual firms, and by their increased demand among institutional investors." Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 10 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diaw, Abdou & Bacha, Obiyathulla Ismath & Lahsasna, Ahcene, 2012. "Incentive-Compatible Sukuk Musharakah for Private Sector Funding," MPRA Paper 46009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias C. Grüninger & Claudia B. Wöhle, 2005. "Warum begeben Unternehmen Wandelanleihen?," Working papers 2005/02, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Ammann, Manuel & Fehr, Martin & Seiz, Ralf, 2006. "New evidence on the announcement effect of convertible and exchangeable bonds," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 43-63, February.
- Dutordoir, Marie & Van de Gucht, Linda, 2007. "Are there windows of opportunity for convertible debt issuance? Evidence for Western Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2828-2846, September.
- Wolfgang Drobetz & Matthias C. Grüninger & Claudia B. Wöhle, 2006. "Warum begeben Unternehmen Wandelanleihen?," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(III), pages 331-365, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.