Divestitures, privatization and corporate performance in emerging markets
AbstractWe use new firm-level data to examine the effects of firm divestitures and privatization on corporate performance in a rapidly emerging market economy. Unlike the existing literature, we control for accompanying ownership changes and the fact that divestitures and ownership are potentially endogenous variables. We find that divestitures increase the firm's profitability but do not alter its scale of operations, while the effect of privatization depends on the resulting ownership structure - sometimes improving performance and sometimes bringing about decline. The effects of privatization are thus more nuanced than suggested in earlier studies. Methodologically, our study provides evidence that it is important to control for changes in ownership when analyzing divestitures and to control for endogeneity, selection and data attrition when analyzing the effects of divestitures and privatization. Copyright (c) 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2009 The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in its journal Economics of Transition.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0967-0750
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baghdasaryan, Delia & la Cour, Lisbeth, 2013. "Competition, ownership and productivity. A panel analysis of Czech firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 86-100.
- Evžen Kočenda & Jan Hanousek, 2010.
"Divide and Privatize : Firms Break-up and Performance,"
291, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Evžen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2011. "Divide and Privatize: Firm Break-up and Performance," CESifo Working Paper Series 3465, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evžen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2009.
"State Ownership and Control in the Czech Republic,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2801, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evzen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2012. "Firm break-up and performance," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 121-143, June.
- Hanousek, Jan & Kočenda, Evžen & Mašika, Michal, 2012.
"Firm efficiency: Domestic owners, coalitions, and FDI,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 471-486.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Michal Masika, 2012. "Firm Efficiency: Domestic Owners, Coalitions, and FDI," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp456, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Štěpán Jurajda & Juraj Stančík, 2013. "Organization and Firm Performance in the Czech Republic," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(1), pages 85-110.
- Stepan Jurajda & Juraj Stancik, 2012.
"Foreign Ownership and Corporate Performance: The Czech Republic at EU Entry,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(4), pages 306-324, August.
- Stepan Jurajda & Juraj Stancik, 2009. "Foreign Ownership and Corporate Performance: The Czech Republic at EU Entry," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp389, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Saul Estrin & Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Jan Svejnar, 2009. "The Effects of Privatization and Ownership in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 699-728, September.
- Rousova, Linda, 2009. "Are the Central European Stock Markets Still Different? A Cointegration Analysis," Discussion Papers in Economics 10993, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.