Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states
AbstractThe paper analyses the evolution of the trade specialization pattern in the new EU member states. Relying on the empirical approach of the Markov transition matrices it analyses both the changes in the external shape of the distribution of comparative advantages and the intra-distribution dynamics. The new members show a dynamic trade pattern: they gained comparative advantages relatively fast in sectors in which they were lagging behind at the beginning of the transition, notably in some 'high tech' products. In addition, many specialization improvements occurred in those items for which world demand expanded at the fastest rate over the nineties. Copyright (c) The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in its journal Economics of Transition.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0967-0750
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 568, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kokta, Robert M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Europe: Is there redirection from the South to the East?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth," FMG Discussion Papers dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000.
"On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns,"
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 1999. "On the dynamics of trade patterns," LIUC Papers in Economics 61, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000. "On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns," KITeS Working Papers 115, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Stanley Fischer & Ratna Sahay, 2000. "The Transition Economies After Ten Years," IMF Working Papers 00/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2000.
"Evolving Patterns of International Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 373-96, August.
- Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2000. "Evolving patterns of international trade," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Proudman, J. & Redding, S., 1998. "Evolving Patterns of International Trade," Economics Papers 144, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Repkine, Alexandre & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 1999. "Evidence of European Trade and Investment U-Shaping Industrial Output in Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, and Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 730-752, December.
- Redding, Stephen, 2002.
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Paola Caselli & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "International specialization models in Latin America: the case of Argentina," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 558, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- André Sapir & Daniel Begg & Alasdair Smith & Charles Wyplosz & Carl Hamilton & L. Alan Winters & Francesco Giavazzi & Victor Norman & Jean-Pierre Danthine & Damien Neven, 1990. "Monitoring European integration: the impact of Eastern Europe :a CEPR annual report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8224, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stanley Fischer & Ratna Sahay, 2000. "The Transition Economies After Ten Years," NBER Working Papers 7664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keld Laursen, 2000. "orignal paper: Do export and technological specialisation patterns co-evolve in terms of convergence or divergence? Evidence from 19 OECD countries, 1971-1991," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 415-436.
- Robert Stehrer & Julia Wörz, 2003.
"Technological convergence and trade patterns,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 139(2), pages 191-219, June.
- Michael A. Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2002. "Evolving Competitiveness of CEEC’s in an Enlarged Europe," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(1), pages 23-88, January-F.
- Kaitila, Ville, 2001. "Accession Countries’ Comparative Advantage in the Internal Market: A Trade and Factor Analysis," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Carolan, Terrie & Singh, Nirvikar & Talati, Cyrus, 1998. "The composition of U.S.-East Asia trade and changing comparative advantage," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 361-389.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Chiara Bentivogli & Paola Monti, 2001. "International Transmission Via Trade Links: Theoretically Consistent Indicators of Interdependence for Latin America and South-East Asia," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 410, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Krugman, Paul, 1987. "The narrow moving band, the Dutch disease, and the competitive consequences of Mrs. Thatcher : Notes on trade in the presence of dynamic scale economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 41-55, October.
- Landesmann, Michael A. & Stehrer, Robert, 2001. "Convergence patterns and switchovers in comparative advantage," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 399-423, December.
- Popa Angela Cristina, 2012. "ROMANIAâ€(tm)S SPECIALIZATION IN TRADE TOWARDS EU-27 - A REVEALED COMPARATIVE ADVANTAGE APPROACH," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 54-60, July.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "Empirical investigation on labour market interactions in an enlarged Europe," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 40(1), pages 87-105.
- Ivan Savin & Peter Winker, 2009.
"Forecasting Russian Foreign Trade Comparative Advantages in the Context of a Potential WTO Accession,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
200914, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Ivan Savin & Peter Winker, 2009. "Forecasting Russian Foreign Trade Comparative Advantages in the Context of a Potential WTO Accession," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(2), pages 111-138, November.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2006. "Commercial Specialisation in the Countries of Central-Eastern Europe," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, July.
- Aleksandra Parteka, 2012. "Skilled-Unskilled Wage Gap Versus Evolving Trade And Labour Market Structures in the EU," Working Papers 1204, Instytut Rozwoju, Institute for Development.
- Michele Alessandrini & Michael Enowbi Batuo, 2010.
"The trade specialization of SANE: Evidence from manufacturing industries,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 7(1), pages 145-178, June.
- Alessandrini, Michele & Enowbi Batuo, Michael, 2008. "The Trade Specialization of SANE:Evidence from Manufacturing Industries," MPRA Paper 13216, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferrarini, Benno & Scaramozzino, Pasquale, 2013.
"Complexity, Specialization, and Growth,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
344, Asian Development Bank.
- Imre Ferto, 2007. "The Dynamics of Trade in Central and Eastern European Countries," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2009. "Former Central European Free Trade Agreement countriesâ€™ agri-food trade specialisation," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(8).
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2013.
"Firms’ exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 55-84, March.
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2011. "Firms' exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 99/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Drabik, Dusan & Bartova, Lubica, 2007. "Assessing the Implications of EU Enlargement for CEEC Agri-food Trade Specialisation," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7783, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alessandro Antimiani & Fabrizio De Filippis & Roberto Henke, 2006. "European Union Enlargement and Agri-Food Trade Specialisation," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 2, May.
- Andrea Finicelli & Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Zaghini, 2011.
"A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 93-113, April.
- Finicelli, Andrea & Sbracia, Massimo & Zaghini, Andrea, 2008. "A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries," MPRA Paper 11000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Imre Fertő & Karoly Attila Soos, 2009. "Duration of trade of former communist countries in the EU market," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 31-39.
- Aleksandra Parteka, 2013. "The Evolving Structure Of Polish Exports (1994-2010) – Diversification Of Products And Trade Partners," GUT FME Working Paper Series A 10, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
- repec:laf:wpaper:201005 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitri Mardas & Chistos Nikas, 2008. "European Integration, Intra-industry Trade in Vertically Differentiated Products and the Balkan Countries," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 355-368, November.
- SvatosÌŒ, M. & Maitah, M. & Belova, A., 2013. "World Sugar Market â€“ Basic Development Trends and Tendencies," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(2), June.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2010. "Dynamique des spécialisations et performances commerciales des pays d'Europe centrale et orientale (PECO)," Working Papers hal-00637591, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.