Regional inflation dynamics within and across euro area countries and a comparison with the United States
Abstract"Inflation differentials across regions of an integrated economy can reflect a proper response to demand and supply conditions, but can also indicate distortions with negative welfare implications. Using a novel dataset of regional inflation rates from six euro area countries, we examine the size and persistence of their differentials and find that they appear to be related to factor market distortions and other structural characteristics, rather than to cyclical and growth dynamics. Our empirical analysis shows that only about half of inflation rates variation is accounted for by area-wide factors such as monetary policy or oil price developments. National factors (such as labour market institutions) still play a very important role, and a regional component accounts for about 18% of inflation variability." Copyright (c) CEPR, CES, MSH, 2009.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPR & CES & MSH in its journal Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2nd Floor, 53-56 Great Sutton Street, London EC1V 0DG
Phone: +44 (0)20 7183 8801
Fax: +44 (0)20 7183 8820
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0266-4658
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Schackstr. 4, 80539 Munich
Phone: +49 (89) 2180-2748
Fax: +49 (89) 39 73 03
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/page/portal/ifoHome/f-about/f2aboutces
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zemanek, Holger & Belke, Ansgar & Schnabl, Gunther, 2009.
"Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness,"
IZA Policy Papers
7, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," CESifo Working Paper Series 2639, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 895, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Carin van der Cruijsen & Maria Demertzis, 2009.
"How Anchored Are Inflation Expectations in EMU Countries?,"
DNB Working Papers
235, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & Demertzis, Maria, 2011. "How anchored are inflation expectations in EMU countries?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 281-298.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & Demertzis, Maria, 2011. "How anchored are inflation expectations in EMU countries?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 281-298, January.
- Gabriel Pino & Juan de Dios Tena & Antoni Espasa, 2013. "Forecasting disaggregates by sectors and regions : the case of inflation in the euro area and Spain," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws130807, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Hanan Morsy & Florence Jaumotte, 2012. "Determinants of Inflation in the Euro Area: The Role of Labor and Product Market Institutions," IMF Working Papers 12/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2011. "Heterogeneity and convergence of regional inflation (prices)," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 711-723.
- Ansgar Belke & Holger Zemanek & Gunther Schnabl, 2010.
"Current Account Balances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0176, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2010. "Current account balances and structural adjustment in the euro area," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 83-127, May.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2012.
"On currency misalignments within the euro area,"
2012-07, CEPII research center.
- Neville Francis & Michael T. Owyang & Tatevik Sekhposyan, 2009.
"The local effects of monetary policy,"
2009-048, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Neely, Christopher J. & Rapach, David E., 2011. "International comovements in inflation rates and country characteristics," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1471-1490.
- Winkelried, Diego & Gutierrez, José Enrique, 2012. "Regional inflation dynamics and inflation targeting in Peru," Working Papers 2012-018, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Jean Louis, Rosmy & Balli, Faruk, 2013. "Low-inflation-targeting monetary policy and differential unemployment rate: Is monetary policy to be blamed for the financial crisis? — Evidence from major OECD countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 546-564.
- Yanli LI, Hongfeng PENG & Hongfeng PENG, 2013. "Inflation Persistence in Nine Latin American Countries: Panel SURKSS Test with a Fourier Function," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 132-143, October.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2010. "Regional Inflation (Price) Behaviors: Heterogeneity and Convergence," MPRA Paper 25430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Winkelried, Diego & Gutiérrez, José, 2012. "Dinámica inflacionaria regional y el esquema de metas de inflación en el Perú," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 24, pages 79-98.
- Coleman, Simeon, 2012. "Where Does the Axe Fall? Inflation Dynamics and Poverty Rates: Regional and Sectoral Evidence for Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(12), pages 2454-2467.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.