Cross-country price dispersion in the euro era: a case study of the European car market
Abstract"This paper investigates the effects of the European monetary union on cross-country price differences in the European car market. The analysis utilizes disaggregate, bi-annual data on the prices of almost all car models sold in the 15 countries of the European Union over 1993-2003. The data refer to identical models, with identical specifications and options. To identify the euro's effect, we exploit the fact that out of the 15 countries in our sample, 12 joined Euroland at the beginning of 1999 and officially adopted the euro as their national currency at the beginning of 2002, while 3 countries remained outside the monetary union. We investigate whether there is a systematic difference in the evolution of cross-country price dispersion between Euroland members and non-members after 1999. Our analysis distinguishes between Phase I (monetary union with national currencies preserved, 1999-2001) and Phase II (official adoption of the euro as a national currency in 2002). We examine the evolution of both the absolute price differentials across countries, and the speed with which deviations from the long-term cross-country differentials are eliminated." Copyright � CEPR, CES, MSH, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPR & CES & MSH in its journal Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 40 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3rd Floor, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: +44 (0)20 7183 8801
Fax: +44 (0)20 7183 8820
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0266-4658
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Schackstr. 4, 80539 Munich
Phone: +49 (89) 2180-2748
Fax: +49 (89) 39 73 03
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/page/portal/ifoHome/f-about/f2aboutces
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sofka, Wolfgang & Zimmermann, Jörg, 2008. "Regional economic stress as moderator of liability of foreignness," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 155-172, June.
- Wolfgang Sofka & Joerg Zimmermann, 2005.
"There is no Place Like Home: A Strategic Framework to Overcome Liability of Foreignness in the German Car Market,"
- Sofka, Wolfgang & Zimmermann, Jörg, 2005. "There's no Place Like Home: A Strategic Framework to Overcome Liability of Foreignness in the German Car Market," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-84, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007.
"Price convergence in the enlarged internal market,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
292, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market," CASE Network Reports 0076, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jiri Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 730, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2006.
"The pulse of liability of foreignness: dynamic legitimacy and experiences effects in the German car market,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-70, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Wolfgang Sofka, 2007. "The Pulse of Liability of Foreignness: Dynamic Legitimacy and Experience Effects in the German Car Market," CIE Discussion Papers 2007-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Eyal Dvir & Georg H. Strasser, 2013. "Does Marketing Widen Borders? Cross-Country Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 831, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2014.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2009.
"Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2009,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2012. "Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 757-776.
- Wolfgang Sofka & JÃ¶rg Zimmermann, 2007.
"Regional Dimensions of Liability of Foreignness: Between a Rock and a Hard Place?,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2007-12, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Wolfgang Sofka & Joerg Zimmermann, 2007. "Regional Dimensions of Liability of Foreignness: Between a Rock and a Hard Place?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-023, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Andrén, Niclas & Oxelheim, Lars, 2006. "Producer Prices in the Transition to a Common Currency," Working Paper Series 668, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero, 2007.
"Price convergence in the European car market,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 241-250.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price convergence in the enlarged internal market," European Economy - Economic Papers 292, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Riemer P. Faber & Ad C.J. Stokman, 2005. "Price Convergence in Europe from a Macro Perspective: Product Categories and Reliability," DNB Working Papers 034, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.