Demand for Marijuana, Alcohol and Tobacco: Participation, Levels of Consumption and Cross-equation Correlations
AbstractWe investigated marijuana, alcohol and tobacco consumption using micro-unit data from the Australian National Drug Strategy Household Surveys. We estimated a multivariate probit (MVP) model to allow for correlations across participations of different drugs and a sequential model to study separately the determinants of participation and the levels of consumption. The MVP results indicate significant and positive correlations across all three drugs through unobservable characteristics, with the correlation coefficient between marijuana and tobacco being the highest. The MVP approach allows for better prediction of conditional and joint probabilities, providing valuable information for policy makers in a multidrug framework. Copyright © 2004 Economic Society of Australia..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Economic Society of Australia in its journal The Economic Record.
Volume (Year): 80 (2004)
Issue (Month): 251 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2004.
"Three facts about marijuana prices,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2002. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2003. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57846, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Niko de Silva & Benno Torgler, 2011.
"Smoke Signals and Mixed Messages: Medical Marijuana & Drug Policy Signalling Effects,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2011-18, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Niko De Silva & Benno Torgler, 2011. "Smoke Signals and Mixed Messages: Medical Marijuana & Drug Policy Signalling Effects," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 272, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Sara Markowitz & John Tauras, 2009. "Substance use among adolescent students with consideration of budget constraints," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 423-446, December.
- Andrew Tan & Steven Yen & Rodolfo Nayga, 2009. "Factors Affecting Alcohol Purchase Decisions and Expenditures: A Sample Selection Analysis by Ethnicity in Malaysia," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 149-159, June.
- Bilgic, Abdulbaki & Florkowski, Wojciech J. & Yen, Steven T. & Akbay, Cuma, 2013. "Tobacco spending patterns and their health-related implications in Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-15.
- Elia Kacapyr & Samira Choudhury, 2006. "Determinants of Alcohol Consumption By College Students," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 37(1), pages 3-19.
- Harald Tauchmann & Silja Lenz & Till Requate & Christoph Schmidt, 2013. "Tobacco and alcohol: complements or substitutes?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 539-566, August.
- Kenneth W Clements & Yihui Lan & Xueyan Zhao, 2006.
"The Demand for Vice: Inter-Commodity Interactions with Uncertainty,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-30, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Yihui Lan & Xueyan Zhao, 2005. "The Demand for Vice: Inter-Commodity Interactions with Uncertainty," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-30, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Sourdin, Patricia, 2008. "Pension contributions as a commitment device: Evidence of sophistication among time-inconsistent households," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 577-596, August.
- van Ours, Jan C. & Williams, Jenny, 2007.
"Cannabis prices and dynamics of cannabis use,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 578-596, May.
- Ours, J.C. van & Williams, J., 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," Discussion Paper 2005-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Ours, Jan C & Williams, Jenny, 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," CEPR Discussion Papers 4991, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Xueyan Zhao, 2005. "Economic Aspects of Marijuana," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-28, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Pudney, Stephen & Bryan, Mark & DelBono, Emilia, 2013. "Licensing and regulation of the cannabis market in England and Wales: Towards a cost-benefit analysis," MPRA Paper 50365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kenneth Clements & Yihui Lan & Xueyan Zhao, 2010. "The demand for marijuana, tobacco and alcohol: inter-commodity interactions with uncertainty," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 203-239, August.
- Harris, Mark N. & Zhao, Xueyan, 2007. "A zero-inflated ordered probit model, with an application to modelling tobacco consumption," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1073-1099, December.
- Yen, Steven T. & Yuan, Yan & Liu, Xiaowen, 2009. "Alcohol consumption by men in China: A non-Gaussian censored system approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 162-173, June.
- Sara Markowitz & John Tauras, 2006. "Even For Teenagers, Money Does Not Grow on Trees: Teenage Substance Use and Budget Constraints," NBER Working Papers 12300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.