Accounting for Growth and Output Gaps: Evidence from New Zealand
AbstractWe evaluate New Zealand's macroeconomic performance over the 1967-96 period, which witnessed numerous economic reforms. Using both index-number and econometric techniques, we decompose nominal GDP growth and the output gap into contributions from price level changes, productivity growth and changes in factor utilisation. Changes in domestic prices accounted for four-fifths of the growth in nominal GDP, while capital accumulation and employment growth were the most important factors determining real-output growth. Deviations in the domestic price level around its long-run trend contributed most heavily to changes in the nominal output gap. The real gap was influenced in any year variously by deviations of the terms of trade and labour input from their long-run trends, as well as by productivity shocks. Copyright 2002 by The Economic Society of Australia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Economic Society of Australia in its journal The Economic Record.
Volume (Year): 78 (2002)
Issue (Month): 242 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olivier, CARDI, 2005.
"Another View of the J-Curve,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2005029, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & James Kirkley & Dale Squires, 2002.
"Property Rights in a Fishery: Regulatory Change and Firm Performance,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0205, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2003. "Property rights in a fishery: regulatory change and firm performance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 156-177, July.
- Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Kamps, Christophe & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Scheide, Joachim, 2004. "Moderate upswing in Euroland," Kiel Discussion Papers 410, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006. "Capacity reduction, quota trading and productivity: the case of a fishery," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Carsten-Patrick Meier, 2004. "Investigating the Impact of an Appreciation of the Euro in a Small Macroeconometric Model of Germany and the Euro Area," Kiel Working Papers 1204, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Kamps, Christophe & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Scheide, Joachim, 2004. "Verhaltener Aufschwung in Euroland," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3215, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Productivity and capacity reduction: the case of a fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-2, International and Development Economics.
- Kevin J Fox, 2005. "Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Total Factor Productivity Growth in New Zealand Industries," Treasury Working Paper Series 05/04, New Zealand Treasury.
- CARDI, Oliver & BERTINELLI, Luisito, 2004. "A formal model of krugman’s intuition on the J-curve," CORE Discussion Papers 2004043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Capacity Reduction and Productivity: The Case of Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0303, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.